Votes: 0 0.0%
  • none - all were Cr*p

Votes: 3 33.3%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't it time for an Oscars thread? I have actually seen a good number of the movies up for the awards this year. I'm rooting for Slumdog Millionaire for best picture, Kate Winslet for best actress and Sean Penn for best actor.

Your picks for best picture? As this is the lownje, snide comments about how bad all the pictures were are welcome, as well as knowing statements about which overlooked independent film was clearly so much better.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
I stopped paying attention years ago, starting with their snub of Hoop Dreams. Then last year I gave them a little respect when they picked No Country for Old Men. But to not even nominate Dark Knight for Picture or Screenplay ..... what a f-ing joke. That set them back a couple decades, AFAIC.

////FIRST!

·
Done
4,509 Posts
oarsman said:
Isn't it time for an Oscars thread? I have actually seen a good number of the movies up for the awards this year. I'm rooting for Slumdog Millionaire for best picture, Kate Winslet for best actress and Sean Penn for best actor.

Your picks for best picture? As this is the lownje, snide comments about how bad all the pictures were are welcome, as well as knowing statements about which overlooked independent film was clearly so much better.
Seeing as the only movie that I saw this year that is also nominated for "Best Picture" is Frost/Nixon, I have to go with that.

Plus, I liked it. Great flick.

No way in hell, however, that a movie about interviewing Nixon wins an Oscar.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
I stopped paying attention years ago, starting with their snub of Hoop Dreams. Then last year I gave them a little respect when they picked No Country for Old Men. But to not even nominate Dark Knight for Picture or Screenplay ..... what a f-ing joke. That set them back a couple decades, AFAIC.

////FIST!
why do you hate Hollywood? (the town, not the clown).

I'm all in for Slumdog. The rest were *meh* for Best Pic

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
I usually make sure I see every nominated picture in every major category (including, and especially, the two screenplay categories), but this year I've been a slacker. I did, though, see all the Best Picture nominees except for Slumdog. Everybody has told me that Slumdog is the best of the bunch. But sorry to say, of what I saw it wasn't the greatest of years.

Benjamin Button looked great, but it ultimately didn't add up to much.

Frost/Nixon was one of those dutiful, dull, if intelligent pictures specifically made to garner Academy Awards and nothing else.

The Reader was another of those dutiful 'made for the awards season' motion pictures, but I have to say it was better than Frost/Nixon. Kate Winslet gives a lovely performance. It's really moving to see the look of bafflement on Kate's character's face as she finds herself on trial for war crimes and betrayed by her fellow guards. Kate understands that her character is not the sharpest tool in the shed, and she plays this to perfection.

Though it isn't even in the same league as last years There Will Be Blood, my favorite of the four I saw was Milk. Sean Penn gives a marvelously loose performance as Harvey Milk. Not only is Sean gay/homosexual in the movie, he's gay in the traditonal sense of the word. He's happy. Just like the rest of the gay characters in the film, Sean/Harvey finds 1970's San Francisco to be Paradise. They've found a place where they don't have to hide in the closet. They're free to be as gay as they wanna be. They revel in it. they happily take to the streets to fight for their rights. You can't help but root for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts