Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Northerner. After 39 years of suffering through ice and freezing temperatures, it occurred to me that I don't have to take this anymore! I would like to move to a warm climate and the Southwest is so beautiful.

Would you help me with one trivial sounding question: I get dry skin in Winter (our forced-air heating systems do that to us) and I was wondering if dry Southwestern climates have a similar affect on your skin, or is it not a problem. Sorry for the dumb question, but I seriously would make this a small one-of-many consideration in determining whether to move somewhere. I want to spend my paycheck on other things than hand cream.

Thanks in advance,
Tshirt

·
Registered
156 Posts
T-shirt, I have been in the desert SW since dec '81. It is not that bad but yes you can get dry skin and need more skin lotion than in the midwest where I grew up. It really is not that big of a deal. A couple of things that can make it worse are well water instead of city water (very hard, lots of minerals) and when it gets windy during the "dry" part of winter. Elevation can play a big role as well, kinda depends on specifically where you are thinking of.

The views, massive blue skies and fantastic winters more than make up for a little dry skin!!! Oh yeah and being able to ride outdoors all year long!!:cool: Feel free to pm if you have area specific questions.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm originally from the north(only 18years out of 41) and my hands and legs get a little dry during winter months, but just a drop of lotion helps a lot.

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
I have some trouble with my hands during the winter, but other than that, no problem. I had the same problem in the Midwest though, so I can't blame it on the climate here.

·
Proud luddite
7,223 Posts
Over the course of the 15 years that I've lived in AZ, I have developed some skin problems related to the dryness and I use topical ointments/creams for that. I also use lip balm and hand lotion fairly often and those help. I am looking into a product known as GLA....gamma linolenic acid....which is supposed to be fairly effective in dealing with dry skin and without the potential harm that steroidal treatments can bring. So I'll try the GLA and see how that goes.

But that aside, I absolutely love living in this hot/dry climate. I can ride my bike year round and after growing up in the southeast, I was thankful to get away from high humidity. There's nothing like 70-degree days in January with nothing but sun, sun and more sun!

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great thanks everyone. Sounds like it's not much of an issue. Thanks, I really want to move somewhere that I can ride all year long with beautiful scenery.

Tshirt

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I absolutely love AZ.

I live in MI for the Summer, but would love to move here full time. Yes, I've been here in the Summer, I'll take the heat over the humidity.

My skin gets a little dry, but not excessively. I use Curel a few times a month, at most. HTFU as they say in the lownge.

On the plus side, I ride most every day, and at 58, I'm in the best condition I've been in since I raced (poorly) in the 80's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts