Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is ROAD Bike Review... but I figure... bikes... hey.

XC?
DH?
4X?
Urban?
Freeriding?
DJ?
Trials?
BMX?
Velodrome?
Touring?
Commuting?
________?

I started on the track when I was in 5th grade. Started racing XC shortly afterwards. Started racing road in high school. College has me hanging out with the urban/dh/dj'ers. Its amazing how bad I am at it.

I would still classify myself as a roadie though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I commute. I tour. I do "epic" rides when I have the chance. I explore, using the bike to cover a lot of ground with a more intimate perspective than driving. I do fire roads and some singletrack on the 'cross bikes. Maybe once every year I'll air up the tires on the MTB, hit the trails and swear that I've gotta do that more often, and then put the thing back in some dark place for another year.

·
Charismatic Megafauna
547 Posts
Noob mountain biker. Started last October and really enjoy it. Gives me an opportunity to explore other areas when I just can't seem to get revved up about my usual road routes.

Also an occasional commuter when not freelancing from home.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Minor grocery getting, post office, library, on a fendered hybrid with platform pedals. Street clothes, no helmet. Everyone around me in traffic is very friendly and accomodating when I ride my hybrid in street clothes. When I do my helmeted lycra riding, they're less friendly, and some are hostile.

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
Primarily a roadie, but I also commute once or twice a week (which I view as training or maintenence for my weekend rides).

Every now & then I do some off-road mountain biking, nothing too hard core. I love it, & if I lived anywhere remotely near good trails and/or owned a house with a garage big enough to store multiple bikes, I would definitely be a more frequent MTB'er. Alas...

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I ride the cruiser bike up to get my daughter at daycare most afternoons. She rides her own bike with Mom in the morning and then Mom continues on to work. I go up and get her and we have some great conversations on the 1/4 ride home. She thinks it really cool to be the only kid riding a bike to school. (there are a few more that are now doing buggy's)

We usually do an annual guys-trip to Moab. It's about the only time the MTB gets out of the shed. I clean the red dirt off from the previous trip and take it out for some fun. Once we get back it's back in the shed until the next trip.

Fixed gear for commuting occasionally. Havent' ridden it yet this year. Had knee surgery last August and want to make sure it's well healed before giving that a shot. I did manage to get the pedals back on it last week, but haven't taken it out yet.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I had the exact opposite reaction in the US. I was treated like I had a DUI or something when I wore civilian clothing. The strangest sensation was after selling both of our cars before moving overseas--- we sold one car to a "kid" who paid half in cash for some inexplicable reason. I rode my bike to the bank to make a cash deposit on the scale of being a drug dealer.

wim said:
Minor grocery getting, post office, library, on a fendered hybrid with platform pedals. Street clothes, no helmet. Everyone around me in traffic is very friendly and accomodating when I ride my hybrid in street clothes. When I do my helmeted lycra riding, they're less friendly, and some are hostile.

·
I am no Guide
571 Posts
I just participated in 24 Hours of Summer Solstice Mountain Bike Race.

It is all cross country MTB team based or solo, we did four man team.

So to answer the OPs question XC MTB and Road.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
We ride any of our bikes anywhere.

The surface and style don't matter, it is all good.

The current stable;
Santana Team Ti Tandem-ours
Custom GT Zaskar Le-hers
GT Zaskar-mine
Custom Rivendell All Rounder-hers
Rivendell Ramboulet-mine
Waterford RS22-hers
Waterford RS22-mine
Waterford RS22 fixte-hers
Waterford RS22 fixte-mine
Waterford RS14 fixte-hers
Bianchi Reparto Corsa Cyclecrosser-mine
BOB Trailer-ours

The Waterfords are custom of course.

a car that sits-ours

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
I'm trying..........

I do quite a bit of commuting myself. Been riding every day, five days a week for the last three years. About the only time I dont ride is when it's lightning outside or raining hard, and then I just have my wife carry me to work. Just my commuting miles for last year was 856 miles, and this year it will be double that now that my commute is significantly longer.

The rest of the miles I ride are 20 - 50 on the weekends, on top of my commuting and all of it is road miles. I'm getting older (i'm 50) and not anywhere near the shape some of you are, but I'm trying. My real world average speeds on my daily commute is 13 - 15 mph, with some hills (florida hills) and lots of traffic lights which eat away at my average, so I dont know if I'm getting any better or not. :cryin:

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
I commute several days a week on a converted 80's rigid mountain bike. I ride mountain bike at least once a week, sometimes more. Usually do a couple of mountain bike races a year. Do a couple of centuries a year, including an annual 100 mile tandem ride with my buds up to a friends cabin each April. Do a 50 mile four man team time trial each year. Ride fixed on the road several times a month and single speed on the trail several times a month. Used to tour but haven't done it in years. Have a road bike with S&S couplers that I travel with a couple of times a year. Just got back from visiting the kids in Fort Collins and did some nice rides on the coupled bike.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
I had the exact opposite reaction in the US. I was treated like I had a DUI or something when I wore civilian clothing
I get the DUI question too, but always with a friendly grin. Beats the hell out of "get the f--k off the road, buddy!" I only hear when I'm in lycra.

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Started some commuting this year, a few MTB trips a year (if you can call riding the trails in Williamsburg MTB).

Cruise the hood with the boys a fair amount and trying to get back into what got me riding in the first place. Nightime Urban Treks. I like taking my FS mtb or SS MTB out late nights and riding sidewalks, muts, shopping centers or what ever. Low traffic and low light make for great riding.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting. Not many freestylers.

I work at a bike shop as a wrench to pay off my habit. It has always amazed me on how so many different types of people all could be obsessed about one thing in so many different ways.

for example, you have the SS/fixie type who are really sometimes much too comfortable in traffic for my comfort.

roadies- shaved leg people

freestyle riders (urban/DH/freeride/bmx)- an oblivious co-worker of mine said "that screaming music that you BMX'ers listen to..."

tons more. i love it.

·
huvia ja hyötyä
586 Posts
I am
- mountainbiker (riding whatever trails are just outside town)
- commuter (not that far)
- still without a real road bike

·
Banned
657 Posts
I do a fair amount of mountain* biking in maritime forest/marshland trail type terrain (*no mountains here). Have a Zaskar, Litespeed Pisgah, Trek 7000, Cannondale M900. I also ride around the neighborhood on a Schwinn Stingray (I now have 3).

·
Registered
738 Posts
Whatever Spirit Moves Me...

I have a 5" FS trailbike (SantaCruz Heckler) that I ride XC/light freeridy stuff on.

I built up a nice 23lb GT Zaskar Team frame a couple of months ago but I'd much rather ride my FS bike in the dirt but I've been having fun playing in the street on the Zaskar a lot lately.

I havn't had my road bike out in about a month cuz I've been riding the hardtail and my FS ride most of the time. I just aired up the tires on the road bike though and I'm going to go for a nice long ride in a little while.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.