Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I gather everyone here kinda likes Cycling, God knows I do.
I wonder though, are there other pastimes, hobbies, passions, addictions among you out there?
I'm curious
for example; I live in the east (Beantown = Boston), and in the winter months the bike hibernates for the most part. Sure, I manage to squeeze the occasional winter ride in but,
in order to keep the deep spiritual fires burning I backpack, and Ice Climb. I also rock climb in the summer but for the most part I'm on the bike.

Lets hear it, S'up in the "off" season?

Patrick

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Beantown said:
Here in Texas, the heat of August can be as big an "off season" as the little bit of winter cold we get. I like to head to Lake Travis in my boat to cool off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's something else...?

Paddling (mostly canoes); flatwater, downriver, a little whitewater now and then. We take a yearly trip to the BWCAW.
Photography (mostly film, but I just crossed into the dark zone and bought a digital)
Cinema and Film (probably watch about 5-6 films a week, and occasionally write something intelligent about them)
Horticulture: I keep a lot of indoor as well as outdoor greenery. The indoor stuff is all mine, but outside I do the overall design, the landscaping, and the pruning while my wife does the plant selection, planting, and the weeding.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeeezz!

roleur said:
There's something else...?

Paddling (mostly canoes); flatwater, downriver, a little whitewater now and then. We take a yearly trip to the BWCAW.
Photography (mostly film, but I just crossed into the dark zone and bought a digital)
Cinema and Film (probably watch about 5-6 films a week, and occasionally write something intelligent about them)
Horticulture: I keep a lot of indoor as well as outdoor greenery. The indoor stuff is all mine, but outside I do the overall design, the landscaping, and the pruning while my wife does the plant selection, planting, and the weeding.
No flies on you, well done!

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
It's a different culture, but...

... I like to lift weights. I live in South Florida, so the off season for me is the summer when it's too friggen hot & humid to ride, so I swim for cardio and pump iron.

It's funny to be involved in two such different sporting cultures. Go over to a weight lifting BB and it's all about "how can I gain more weight", while here most of us are trying to slim down.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Luckly I live in So Cal..so one day I can be riding along the coast the next I can be at 11,000 ft atop Mammoth Mtn for a day of skiing.

As another distraction I write reviews of "hign-end" audio equipmnet for an on-line magizine (www.positive-feedback.com).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, during any one of Chicago's frigid off seasons (which seem to consume more than the riding season does) I generally sit and pout while looking out my window. My favorite off-bike hobby is RBR! Ha! Swimming, lots of laps keep me fit during the winter, not to mention it's nice to see some of the swim gals during December... ; ) other than that painting (I'm a working artist) eats up most of my time, not to mention drinking and chasing skirts...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Beantown said:
I wonder though, are there other pastimes, hobbies, passions, addictions among you out there?
I'm curious
for example; I live in the east (Beantown = Boston), and in the winter months the bike hibernates for the most part. Sure, I manage to squeeze the occasional winter ride in but,
in order to keep the deep spiritual fires burning I backpack, and Ice Climb. I also rock climb in the summer but for the most part I'm on the bike.

Patrick
Here in Toledo,Ohio I dream of warm weather during the winter. I do get in a lot of short rides on my mountain bike. That with family,work and school is it.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
What besides bicycling?

Well, in the winter here in the northwoods it's xc skiing and brewing beer. Summer brings biking, of course, including lots of mountain biking but also fly fishing. Fall brings grouse and pheasant hunting. Used to golf alot, until the back put an end to that. Woodworking year 'round.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hiking... or more specifically the cult that is ultra-light hiking. I do multi-day trips carrying about the same weight of my bike (15-20lbs).
Music. That is the listening and reading reviews there of.
Travelling... If I had more money I'd see more of the world... preferrably on my bike.

Recently I've been looking at combining my interest in the form of touring. I figure I can use alot of my ultra-light techniques for self supported tours. I'm currently looking for a sport-touring bike that will fit this approach. Heck if i throw my mp3 player in the panniers I'll have combined all the interests above.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm really into knives and knife collecting. It's hard to say which hobby costs me more money.

Other then that I'm also into photography and I play a little golf on occasion.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Woodworking...cabinetry mostly

I have a large - and about to get larger - workshop in my basement filled with woodworking tools. Tablesaw, bandsaw, jointer,dust collector (2), routers, drill press, cmp miter saw, planer, and handtools out the yazzoooo! Each cycling offseason, I do a couple of projects. This year I have been building a bar in the basement,a matching coffee table/end table for the basement, and the mantle + surround for a new basement fireplace. In the past I've built entertainement centers, armoires, frames, boxes, cabinets, an enormous dollhouse for my girls, chairs...you get the picture. I've even sold a few pieces and been hired to build a few. My cost for any project is the cost of my materials plus however many bottles of good red wine you think my project is worth. Last table I built scored me a case of really fine wine. Hmmmm...another avocation!

Offseason, I really enjoy my time in the gym. Call me a gym rat. I like lifting weights. But like another poster mentioned - all the guys in the weightroom talk about is adding inches here and inches there. I want to stay toned and increase strength not size. I get some shith from the guys for having shaved legs. Yes, I do keep them shaved all winter. If I let them grow my wife won't let me near her until the hair is soft. I can't make it ...uh...solo....for that many weeks. :D So, I shave'm.

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm around boston, too, and don't get out much in the winter. In previous years, I concentrated more on snowshoeing, yoga and drinking.

This year I have a new hobby. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quite a Hobby you got there!

Great blue eyes and smile too.
I would assume that the child trailer has already been purchased?

cheers

·
Registered
162 Posts
Passions

In So. Cal. don't have much problem with weather. Can ride virtually all year round. But besides cycling (road and mountain biking).

I like to collect high end automatic Swiss Watches. :)

Beantown said:
I'm curious

Patrick

·
Registered
44 Posts
Other past-times and diversions

Recently I was bought a basic digital camera (Canon PowerShot A80) and so I decided to try and document my struggle to build a bike. So far I've got about 25 images showing various stages of confusion and completion, and I might post the whole thing up here when it's done (but getting the index gears to work properly is proving a major pain).

I enjoy playing the odd online computer game (Half Life) since it allows you to legally blast someone else with a gun.

Collecting music CDs is also proving to be another area of expenditure (I've got 800+ so far) and I enjoy my music. I haven't got a spectacular hi-fi but then I figure that those people who have usually end up listening more to the equipment than the music.

What else, I go to the gym every lunch time when at the office to try and fight the flab.

Oh yeah, I enjoy walking around the Lake District and the Peak District here in the UK. No mountains, but plenty of excellent pubs that sell Real Ale!

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
Drinking, smoking, eating...

Basically messing up my whole system so that when i get back on the bike it costs me an enourmous effort to get back into shape. I love smoking pipes and the whole hobby around it. Other than that, i get around to doing a lot of skiing here in switzerland. getting ready for a race tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.