Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fiber frame fail. I am specifically refering to a lugged and glued frame. Would the most likely area to fail be at the lug (this one is aluminum) and if so what happens, does the glue give up over time?

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Random

Rondo said:
fiber frame fail. I am specifically refering to a lugged and glued frame. Would the most likely area to fail be at the lug (this one is aluminum) and if so what happens, does the glue give up over time?
There is ABSOLUTELY no way to predict a failure. There can be failures due to design flaws, manufacturing mistakes, material variations, adhesion problems, and so on. IOW, a well designed frame can fail due to a goof in the assembly, and that can be a one-time goof such that YOUR frame fails when all the others don't. There isn't anything that is inherently failure prone, but any part can fail.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
There is ABSOLUTELY no way to predict a failure. There can be failures due to design flaws, manufacturing mistakes, material variations, adhesion problems, and so on. IOW, a well designed frame can fail due to a goof in the assembly, and that can be a one-time goof such that YOUR frame fails when all the others don't. There isn't anything that is inherently failure prone, but any part can fail.
Yeah, but what about all those instances in which carbon fiber just explodes?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
terry b said:
I think it's less of an explosion than a spontaneous disintegration.

Yeah, but say your CF bike has been sitting in the sun for 40 years. Then, after having gained 50 extra pounds you leap on your bike Starsky and Hutch style. And what if the forks had been made in one of those feriner factories. Well, when the whole thing collapsed, couldn't it collapse so fast that there would be a tremendous release of energy, i.e. an explosion? People with CF parts and bikes should be worried about this exact scenario.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
I dunno, I think the solar depolymerization would account for all the latent energy being consumed in the form of C* radicals and black photons. At the final moment of destruction in the scenario you're describing, the only thing holding it together would be residual silkworm spit, and that stuff is notoriously low on the energy output scale.

I'm imaging the thing simply turning into splinters, many of which would end up in your buttinsky.

·
Registered
432 Posts
As ultra-violet energy works it's magic, and with global warming, it get more magic every day, one day, rather than fail, your carbon fiber frame will just lay on the floor like so much soggy spaghetti.

Seriously there were bonded joint failures in frames over a decade ago because some manufactures relied on the glue joint to protect the aluminum lug from galvanic corosion that occurs in contact with carbon fiber. Modern lugged frames have a fiberglass sleeve over the aluminum in the joint, electrically isolating it. Because those who delve in material science discovered why the early bonded frames failed, manufacturing methods overcame the problems. Hence, modern aluminum-bonded carbon-fiber joints don't fail any more.

This hooey is bandied about all the time. It's in the same class as ni-cad batteries having a memory problem (found in a sattelite application 40 years ago and for at least 30 years ni-cads have been produced that do not have that memory problem. You still find people parroting out that ni-cad batteries have a memory problem.

Another one, in the biking category also gets bandied about. Remember when someone figured out that you could open the circular lock on a Kryptonite lock using just a Bic pen? Kryptonite changed their design years ago yet you still find people stupidly parroting that you can open a Kryptonite lock with a Bic pen, showing the close up movies that are on the internet to prove it. No modern Kryptonite lock uses a circular lock mechanism any more.

I swear some people just prove with some posts that there is a fool born every day.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Carbon fiber is so unreliable that Boeing is making a lot of the next generation aircraft with it. They are only using it for the body of the airplane and the wings. The stresses are a lot less on an airplane than a bike :D

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
After reading this thread, I kind of think that alienator WANTS something
carbon to blow up.

I suppose it would be exciting:

"Jan is going to finish #1 in the Tour de France for the first time in years and...."

BOOM!

"His bike just blew up."

Yeah....FIRE!!!!! FIRE!!!!! FIRE!!!!!

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
uh huh..

KJohnson said:
Carbon fiber is so unreliable that Boeing is making a lot of the next generation aircraft with it. They are only using it for the body of the airplane and the wings. The stresses are a lot less on an airplane than a bike :D

Yup and airplane only fas 4 feet when they fail...so it's ok.....no....wait........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.