Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone,

My father, who passed away last year, had Otis Guy build him a road bike back in ~1984. The two were friends and rode together from time to time back in the day. I now have the bike, and unfortunately it's a bit large for me, so I'm planning to sell it. Does anyone have an idea what it might be worth? He swapped the road bars for a flat bar and made it into a kind of gravel bike. The components are decent and it's all in good condition - I've taken it out from time to time. Seat tube is 23", top tub is 21.5", and the head tube is 6". I appreciate any insights! Thanks!
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Crankset

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,771 Posts
Looks like a decent bike in it's day, but it looks like this builder was a bit retro for 1984. Is there a 'fan club' for this builder on the west coast? That alone might raise it's value. Still, you have a frame in great shape, but a fairly large size frame at that. Since this is old-school, it probably won't appeal to those looking to 'modernize' a bike, So, to the right person, I'd say maybe it's worth $350 to as much as $500 (IF the bearings are in fabulous shape, AND the original bars are put back on it). Regardless, this is a bike that's not likely to sell quickly.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Looks like a decent bike in it's day, but it looks like this builder was a bit retro for 1984. Is there a 'fan club' for this builder on the west coast? That alone might raise it's value. Still, you have a frame in great shape, but a fairly large size frame at that. Since this is old-school, it probably won't appeal to those looking to 'modernize' a bike, So, to the right person, I'd say maybe it's worth $350 to as much as $500 (IF the bearings are in fabulous shape, AND the original bars are put back on it). Regardless, this is a bike that's not likely to sell quickly.
This^^^

If you get lucky and a super fam, maybe a few hundred bucks. To move it cheap to someone for a serviceable commuter locally? I’d say $100.00 is about what that buyer will pay. More likely it’ll be a looong time hanging out on eBay and CL and marketplace. But who knows, maybe someone that fits this frame is checking eBay regularly looking for this? Odds? Not good. But it’s possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,771 Posts
This^^^

If you get lucky and a super fam, maybe a few hundred bucks. To move it cheap to someone for a serviceable commuter locally? I’d say $100.00 is about what that buyer will pay. More likely it’ll be a looong time hanging out on eBay and CL and marketplace. But who knows, maybe someone that fits this frame is checking eBay regularly looking for this? Odds? Not good. But it’s possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah, that frame is just too nice for $100. Even at $200, somebody would be getting a real bargain.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Nah, that frame is just too nice for $100. Even at $200, somebody would be getting a real bargain.
Yes. To a knowledgeable consumer. But the sell it quick crowd, need a commuter? That’s the ceiling on those bikes. I watch my local Craig’s List regularly. These bikes that have “value” that get priced like that sit on those sites eternally. I mean, forever. Who can see why? Who wants a bike that barely shifts safely? These old bikes pretty much suck in comparison to modern alternatives. Sure, get that one time, perfect fit, buyer and it has a spit of value. But that’s not going to happen. We all know that. So, if you want to sell it, take the market offer, a cheap, old as hell, functionally useless bike from someone looking for cheap or wait on the gold bound offer. I have money that offer never comes. Who wants this? Quality frame? Definitely. Steel is real? Sure. Old AF and POS in every other way? Absolutely. This bike is nearly worthless.

For that matter, whatever punk stole this, not cool. We are getting tons of these posts lately. The “what’s it worth” posts. Just get comfortable with the answer being, NOTHING. These old bikes don’t have any value. Sure, the one perfect buyer looking for this comes across it? No. Dude is a MTB manufacturer.

Every one of these posts has a dead relative. Or, I bought it at a garage sale. Whatever. All nonsense. Porch pirate much?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,547 Posts
The last design you'll ever make - Interaction Magic

The value of old is explained with this tidbit from the link...

For everything else, in a world where we consume at nearly twice the speed the planet can regenerate, our imperative as designers is to push that end-of-life moment as far into the future as possible.
Something youth never appreciates, endurance, longevity, bikes so well designed they last as long as a Boeing 707. Handmade steel bikes have an enthusiastic niche market.

Nice bike! Doesn't look like your dad rode it much. The BB looks brand new. Definitely call Guy. He'd probably be interested to see the bike. It would be an excellent commuter for an enterprising gentleman. Classic flat fork crown. It's got class. The right collector might pay 800-1200 for it. He might find period correct drop bars for it. Those pedal cages worked well with tennis shoes.

·
Super Moderator
41,374 Posts
Hi, everyone,

My father, who passed away last year, had Otis Guy build him a road bike back in ~1984. The two were friends and rode together from time to time back in the day. I now have the bike, and unfortunately it's a bit large for me, so I'm planning to sell it. Does anyone have an idea what it might be worth? He swapped the road bars for a flat bar and made it into a kind of gravel bike. The components are decent and it's all in good condition - I've taken it out from time to time. Seat tube is 23", top tub is 21.5", and the head tube is 6". I appreciate any insights! Thanks!
View attachment 482591
View attachment 482590
View attachment 482589
View attachment 482588
Mattkasson, how tall was your father?

People here have given you a good rundown on this bike: it's in good shape, quality steel, nice components for the time, eminently serviceable...but too large for most, dated and obsolete vs. modern bikes, and probably won't fetch more than a couple hundred bucks, and then there's shipping.

Interestly, it's practically the same dimensions as my commuter/urban explorer bike. Feel free to PM me if you don't sell it locally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, everyone, I really appreciate the comments. For the person suggesting it's stolen, I hadn't considered this angle and understand your point in these forums. But what I said is legit, and it really was my dad's bike. He passed in Oct 2020 (I misspoke in my original thread as my brain forgot it's 2022 now). I chatted with Otis and he remembered dad, but wouldn't offer an estimate, saying,

Hi Matt, your Dad was an awesome guy and also fun to ride with. That was a bike I made in 1984 I believe. It is a road bike that as Grant aged, removed the road bars and put flat bars in kind of a mountain bike fashion. I, unfortunately, am not very good at estimating what one of my bikes is worth since I build them and don't buy them. If you decide not to sell it, the Marin Museum of Bicycling and the curator is Joe Breeze [email protected]. For selling it, maybe look on Facebook for vintage road bike groups or see on eBay and look for vintage road bikes. It is a very nice bike and was very proud that Grant rode one of my frames, Otis
The museum doesn't do estimates. In any case, I'm going to continue to look for someone who wants it for the classic it is. I'll keep digging and hopefully I'll find a Marin forum. BTW, Dad was 5'9" at the time but was all leg with a small torso!

Thanks again for your replies! --mattkasson

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,771 Posts

For that matter, whatever punk stole this, not cool. We are getting tons of these posts lately. The “what’s it worth” posts. Just get comfortable with the answer being, NOTHING. These old bikes don’t have any value. Sure, the one perfect buyer looking for this comes across it? No. Dude is a MTB manufacturer.

Every one of these posts has a dead relative. Or, I bought it at a garage sale. Whatever. All nonsense. Porch pirate much?
Whoa! Maybe bike theft is rampant where you live (either some east coast or west coast megalopolis, I would assume), but that's not the same everywhere. Most bike thefts around where I live are done by crack heads, who usually sell anything they steal for $10 or $20 right on the street. I doubt many of them even have internet access. And it's not really the kind of bike a 'professional' thief would go after, either.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Whoa! Maybe bike theft is rampant where you live (either some east coast or west coast megalopolis, I would assume), but that's not the same everywhere. Most bike thefts around where I live are done by crack heads, who usually sell anything they steal for $10 or $20 right on the street. I doubt many of them even have internet access. And it's not really the kind of bike a 'professional' thief would go after, either.
So sure, that’s exaggerated, but we see lots of these threads. The posts are obviously being put on by non cyclists, which you can tell by the pics they post. I’m sure most are legit. I’m not so sure all are legit.

We don’t have much crime in general, but we used to have none. Someone tried to steal one of my neighbor’s Jaguars, twice. We have had a rise in opportunistic theft. Porch piracy, checking for unlocked garages and cars and when found, grabbing what might have value. They aren’t crack heads or bike thieves. Local police have caught a few and report that come down from north Jersey in small groups to look for easy targets and head back up north to sell what they get.

I’m sure that kind of crime is restricted to NY and LA. The south and the rest of the fly overs stick to handgun murders and meth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts