Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
No spoke hit

zeytin said:
I've seen that video before but I've never been able to see the woman putting her foot in the spokes.
Even if she did hit the spokes, which is not aparent, it would not explain the crash.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
53T said:
Even if she did hit the spokes, which is not aparent, it would not explain the crash.
53T, did you have your sound turned on while you watched the video

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
53T said:
foot hits the spokes, spokes pull the foot up and then push it forwards, it slams into the fork, wheel stops, endo.
imagine that the foot went into the spokes at around 7-9 o'clock, and youll be able to see what i mean

i think thats what happened, and i suppose with platform pedals you could pull that off (i almost did on a wayyyyyyyy undersized Kmart bike once...)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
zeytin said:
53T, did you have your sound turned on while you watched the video
regardless of what the narrator is saying, I can't see her foot going into the spokes. Her right foot continues to move down as the crash begins. I don't see any abrupt change in the movement of her feet. At first I thought there was a speed bump of something.

The bike just seems to stop moving beneath her. This causes her to endo. I can't make sense of it. She is pedaling so wildly that many things could have happened.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The approach to this is absolutely hilarious, she or he is bobbing there head up and down like a pyscho... I think on the final bob they might have leaned hard and squeezed the front break, causing the endo.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
There's a dip in the road

You can't see it because it's painted white but you can see her tire compress just before she does her acrobatics.

Jeez, you guys can't see that? I should be a referee!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep, totally has nothing to do with the spokes. Must be a hell of a hole in the road to stop the bike that violently! That looked crazy painful though.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
i don´t think the foot goes into the spokes either. if it went in enough to stop the bike, you´d see it move up sharply with the wheel until it got stuck in the fork, and it would probably still be stuck there after she hit the ground. if she just touched the tyre or spokes with the foot then the bike might wobble a bit, but not stop dead like that.
it´s hard to see but after the fall the bike appears to be broken (the two wheels appear to be a lot closer together than they should be). i think maybe the frame broke at the headtube, the front wheel folded under and the rider went over the top... it´s hard to tell though.

foz

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Well I feel better now because I've watched that thing a bunch of times and never saw the foot go into the spokes. I noticed that even though the bike falls closer to the curb the cyclists approaching start to move into single file close to the curb. Maybe they are doing so because the are trying to avoid a bump or hole as some have suggested.

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
I would agree with foz above. I see the dip and i think that her bike hit the dip, her uneven pedaling pushed the bike at the wrong moment and the fork snapped at the crown (ie: death fork) pushing the front wheel into the frame and voila over the handlebars.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I believe I've done this, in a way, many years ago, on BMX bikes. A few times, actually--once in a race just after the first jump and it knocked me unconcious for a moment. Hard to explain, but the sequence: Body mass moves forward and down in relation to bike (the bobbing), hit dip at wrong moment forcing further forward force in relation to bike, foot slips off pedal forward in front of pedal on downstroke, pedal to back of leg as foot (probably, briefely) touches ground. Foot/pedal combo seems to "stop" bike while body mass continues forward and down, and when the relationship between these actions reaches the critical point, it's over the bars. The bike damage (bent/broken fork?) is a result of pitching forward and down at the bump--the endo part. Or so it seems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the way I see it.

Tim M said:
I believe I've done this, in a way, many years ago, on BMX bikes. A few times, actually--once in a race just after the first jump and it knocked me unconcious for a moment. Hard to explain, but the sequence: Body mass moves forward and down in relation to bike (the bobbing), hit dip at wrong moment forcing further forward force in relation to bike, foot slips off pedal forward in front of pedal on downstroke, pedal to back of leg as foot (probably, briefely) touches ground. Foot/pedal combo seems to "stop" bike while body mass continues forward and down, and when the relationship between these actions reaches the critical point, it's over the bars. The bike damage (bent/broken fork?) is a result of pitching forward and down at the bump--the endo part. Or so it seems.
I've been thinking of how to explain the physic behind this video but I think you've nailed it. I don't think you could have said any better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts