Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is coming together.

We are working right beside the local middle school and needed a school closure day to set the trusses, and it came down to Monday or Tuesday.

Monday was cold and rainy, Tuesday was forecast for weather advisory high winds. So we set our trusses on Monday in the rain. I haven't been that wet or cold since we tried to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade in the rain a few years ago.

That's me in the last shot outside on the ladder nailing up the plywood lip on the end gable.

(The biggest PITA--the GFCI outlets on our temp power would not stay on so there was a lot of hand nailing...) Transport Commercial vehicle Truck Electrical supply Overhead power line World Banner Blue-collar worker Construction worker Electrical supply

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
(The biggest PITA--the GFCI outlets on our temp power would not stay on so there was a lot of hand nailing...)
That is why professionals use air guns. I would suggest that maybe it saved time as no one ended up visiting their ancient relatives and the associated police/emergency/fire vehicles stuck in the mud.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is why professionals use air guns. I would suggest that maybe it saved time as no one ended up visiting their ancient relatives and the associated police/emergency/fire vehicles stuck in the mud.
We are professionals--or at least some of us are. :) The point was, we couldn't use the air guns because we couldn't keep the compressors running.

The problem was with the temporary power pole--there was enough dampness in/around the GFCI outlets (code required) for them to trip and not let the compressors keep running.

We finally ran a long extension to the neighbor's house and had one compressor running, so we were able to nail up a lot of the bracing with the air nailer.

I now understand why the carpenters of my youth had Popeye arms--hand nailing for a day is a real workout--my forearm is still sore today.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Excellent work!

I was hoping to volunteer on a project near me. The NIMBY's fought against it, so it was shut down.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Excellent work!

I was hoping to volunteer on a project near me. The NIMBY's fought against it, so it was shut down.
We had some residents show up at our Planning Board hearing, but once we explained that the home owner purchases the house (and does volunteer hours as well), and that it would be a single family house, they were (and have continued to be) supportive.

We even had one neighbor cook lunch for the volunteers--Dominican style beans and rice and/or spaghetti with sausages/tomato sauce.:)

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
We are professionals--or at least some of us are. :) The point was, we couldn't use the air guns because we couldn't keep the compressors running.

The problem was with the temporary power pole--there was enough dampness in/around the GFCI outlets (code required) for them to trip and not let the compressors keep running.

We finally ran a long extension to the neighbor's house and had one compressor running, so we were able to nail up a lot of the bracing with the air nailer.

I now understand why the carpenters of my youth had Popeye arms--hand nailing for a day is a real workout--my forearm is still sore today.
I think they had Popeye arm actually....usually just the right one.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think they had Popeye arm actually....usually just the right one.
i worked with real construction carpenters for few years ago, pre-airguns. toned arms, you had to be skilled to hammer all day long with either hand in every possible angle. but, yea, dominant arm could go all day.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
Former pre-air tool carpenter checking in.

I could keep up with a guy with a gun for a while, if you added in the setup and teardown time he had.

I also had at least one black fingernail at all times.

Nice work on the house. That wet Tyvek is about slippery as snot. Bet you had a couple exciting moments up on that ladder.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Road Neighbourhood Cloud Road surface Town

Sheathing up. I'm really beat up today--scrambling up in the trusses and wrestling sheets of 5/8", lots of contortionist moves. I mainly stayed off the outside of the roof, though.

Also got the branch up on the ridge for topping off. Pretty funny--the two old carpenters on the crew remember the custom that the owner would be required to bring beer for the crew.
Wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topping_out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.