Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something has changed...see exhibit A below.

Same price, but what is wrong with this picture?

Anyone besides me notice how either the prices have soared or they've shrunk the contents?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:

Anyone besides me notice how either the prices have soared or they've shrunk the contents?
I have a family of 4 to feed--I'm intimately aware of the $$ I spend for food. :cryin:

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
No, but I did notice that I'm losing weight :D

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
I can't tell how many ounces the smaller package is. It looks to be about a 1/4 smaller though. I quit eating 6 months ago and have saved huge.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We love shopping in Florida. We even bring stuff back to DC since the prices are so much lower in Florida.

Of course, once you factor in the air fare.........

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
I've noticed a lot of that. For instance, we stock Hillshire Farms smoked loop sausages. They have reduced their package size by one ounce, while the price has stayed the same. Now, a case generally holds 18 packages, so that's over a pound of meat gone for one case. Once the estimates for a pallet of those boxes, or, a semi truck full of those pallets, it figures to be almost 2000 lbs LESS meat, for the same retail price per load. I think that's dirty pool.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
In grocery

I noticed this all the time, in sneaky ways.

It's a tricky way to fight inflation by, um, deflation, and while for most products and most Americans I think it's not entirely bad, for OEH's yogurt I would protest!

This is a more dramatic version of what I've seen -- basically sizes usually START at one of the SAE -- Pint, Quart, Half Gallon, Gallon.

Then, they cut the pint (16oz) tub of spread to 14.7 oz. They cut the half gallon of ice cream to 62.8 ounces, or whatever.

What're we going to get next, 10 eggs?

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Then, if prices ever go down, they'll advertise how you're getting 20% more for *FREE*. then they end that little promo, and go back. But this has been going on for a long time.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Didn't you know that you can get free food out of dumpsters?

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
it's a conspiracy...reduce the number of food molecules in any given container, and you thereby reduce the number of fatasses in the country

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
old_fuji said:
snickers bars have gotten smaller, and it bums me out :(
I thought they felt smaller. Not Snickers too!? My 8 oz yogurt dwindling to 6 oz was insult enough. Oh the injustice. Oh the travesty!

And you guys are all funny. Made me lol with the comments you did. Made me feel better about my 6 oz yogurt.

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
991 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:

OEH, everyone knows that vanilla is smaller than Cherry! Your observation is invalid.:p

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HOOKEM said:
OEH, everyone knows that vanilla is smaller than Cherry! Your observation is invalid.:p

Really? I hadn't heard the news.

I heard vanilla was smaller than chocolate but that's just hearsay and I have no firsthand knowledge as to the veracity of this assertion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:

Oh yeah ... ! I buy the large packs of beef jerky, mostly for energy when I'm riding, at WINCO. They used to be 16oz packs, but they reduced the size to only 14oz, and the price went up!

I've noticed other things that have shrunk in size, but gone up in price ....

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
How about the whipped yogurt that they charge extra for because it's, well, whipped... even though the package is tiny and the weight is negligible? Does anyone really want whipped yogurt or was it all about how to charge more for less?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Argentius said:
I noticed this all the time, in sneaky ways.

It's a tricky way to fight inflation by, um, deflation, and while for most products and most Americans I think it's not entirely bad, for OEH's yogurt I would protest!

This is a more dramatic version of what I've seen -- basically sizes usually START at one of the SAE -- Pint, Quart, Half Gallon, Gallon.

Then, they cut the pint (16oz) tub of spread to 14.7 oz. They cut the half gallon of ice cream to 62.8 ounces, or whatever.

What're we going to get next, 10 eggs?
Actually, some ice cream (some stores most of it) is now only 1.75 quarts, which is 32 + 24 = 56 ounces, or 8 ounces shy of 2 quarts!

I'm careful to caculate the cost per ounce when I'm trying to find ways to save .... or get more for the money ...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts