Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1 Picture of a young woman praying at a Taoist shrine in Taipei
#2 Crop of the young woman's tank top
Yes, I know I'm bad and I am being punished by having that song permanently stuck in my head thankyouverymuch.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
I found that people who do not speak English as their native language will wear just about anything that has english writing on it.

When we were in the Czech Republic, we would see many shirts that made absolutely no sense at all being proudly worn by those who presumably did not understand. Many were shirts that you would not want your child wearing, being worn by children.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
HokieRider said:
I found that people who do not speak English as their native language will wear just about anything that has english writing on it.

When we were in the Czech Republic, we would see many shirts that made absolutely no sense at all being proudly worn by those who presumably did not understand. Many were shirts that you would not want your child wearing, being worn by children.
I've equally found that Americans will get just about any "Chinneese symbol" tatooed on their a$$ is some guy with a tat gun tells them it means "beaty," "truth," or some other nonesense.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
I saw a guy in Costa Rica that had 99 red balloons.

·
Proud luddite
7,191 Posts
lot8con8 said:
Nena; just heard that song on the radio the other day.
Whenever I think of that song I think of the German version and that makes me think of Falco in the utterly ridiculous video singing Dar Kommisar. So now I have Falco doing his dog-awful white boy dance while singing Dar Kommisar stuck in my head. I need to go shoot myself now.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,268 Posts
I can see why the recording continues to be so popular. It's a shot of pure happiness. One of the great pop tunes.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Seriously?

GearDaddy said:
Recently I heard a story on NPR about "Walking on Sunshine" and the band behind it. It was pretty interesting how that song launched the band into noteriety, which they've lived off of since. It's still one of the biggest royalty payouts for the music company that owns the rights, earning ~1 million bucks a year to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_on_Sunshine_(song)
I read that - unreal! They kept the publishing! They never have to work again if they don't want to!

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Pablo said:
I've equally found that Americans will get just about any "Chinneese symbol" tatooed on their a$$ is some guy with a tat gun tells them it means "beaty," "truth," or some other nonesense.
Ain't that the truth: it's long grown tiresome, but for the first few years of my Asian language studies I used to love pointing out the modern, practical meanings of the things people had tattooed on their bodies. Or better yet, to point out that the pretty thing they picked off the flash wall isn't even drawn right and is roughly the equivalent of, oh let's say a capital N with a vertical line through it.

For the other way around, the clothing page at engrish.com is probably the best collection there is:

http://www.engrish.com/category/clothing/

It's hard to get bored in Tokyo with all this funny stuff to read everywhere.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
I read that - unreal! They kept the publishing! They never have to work again if they don't want to!
You bet! It's why you can't swing a dead cat in Nashville without hitting a songwriter. Writing a catchy tune is paydirt.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Mapei said:
I can see why the recording continues to be so popular. It's a shot of pure happiness. One of the great pop tunes.
True. I'm of the right generation, and always liked this one in the original popularity wave.

"Tubthumping" is another good one, 15 years on.

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
azpeterb said:
Whenever I think of that song I think of the German version and that makes me think of Falco in the utterly ridiculous video singing Dar Kommisar. So now I have Falco doing his dog-awful white boy dance while singing Dar Kommisar stuck in my head. I need to go shoot myself now.
"All ist klar, Herr Kommisar?"

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HokieRider said:

Oh yea.

One time in Shanghai I walked by a group of teenage gang-banger wannabes and one of them was wearing a black shirt with red letters spelling out the most offensive skein of insults in English. Right down to "why to you go **** yourself, ***hole." I wanted to take his picture but decided instead perhaps that the memory was enough. I was a long way from my hotel.

I'm sure he had no idea what he was wearing.

·
I want a Road Bike :)
4,111 Posts
HokieRider said:
I found that people who do not speak English as their native language will wear just about anything that has english writing on it. .

I bought a shirt with "that's what she said" don't know what that means, but I read it frequently in teh Lownge..

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mtymxdh said:
I bought a shirt with "that's what she said" don't know what that means, but I read it frequently in teh Lownge..
When your SO starts wearing one that says "I'm with stupid" you'll know you're in trouble.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts