Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, every other ride or so, I feel like I'm riding but as if I'm not really riding. It feels like I am dreaming about it and not really knowing what I am doing. Maybe I am just out of breath or winded. But I am not dizzy. And I feel great full of energy after my rides complete.

It only started happening about a year ago. Before that, I didn't ride consistently and I don't recall it happening then.

I'm 44. Is this what happens when you get older? :)

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
I get something like that occasionally. Generally when it happens, I'm pretty tired. It feels like I'm just floating along and like I could just lay down and take a nap. Happens a few times a month when running or just around the house. I generally take it as I'm tired and should take a nap.

I'm 23 FWIW.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Back when I ran this would happen as well. It is called a runners high and the same can happen in cycling.
That sounds about right to me too. I am old guy and consider myself reasonably fit and darn lucky when I get that flying along at ground level and free as a bird feeling.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Lately, every other ride or so, I feel like I'm riding but as if I'm not really riding. It feels like I am dreaming about it and not really knowing what I am doing. Maybe I am just out of breath or winded. But I am not dizzy. And I feel great full of energy after my rides complete.

It only started happening about a year ago. Before that, I didn't ride consistently and I don't recall it happening then.

I'm 44. Is this what happens when you get older? :)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You need to shift to a harder gear, you're not putting out enough effort!
LOL. True... true. We can't just let ourselves enjoy this bicycling stuff. No pain no gain.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I cycle for multiple reasons but the high feeling is definitely one of them. It totally wipes out stress for hours after a good ride.

There is one route in particular where I pass a beach about 20-25 miles into the ride. I'll stop and sit on a bench overlooking the ocean. The rush is usually incredible and lasts a good 10 minutes while I'm sitting there. Maybe I am an endorphin junkie but, hey, there are worse things to be addicted to!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
LOL. True... true. We can't just let ourselves enjoy this bicycling stuff. No pain no gain.
Exactly! There's no fun allowed in cycling. Cycling is all serious all the time. If you're not riding at about 90% of your max effore you should get the hell off the road & take up miniature golf. :nono:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.