Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How should Gathering posts be Gathered?

  • One big post!

    Votes: 12 37.5%
  • As many posts as people post, sticky them all!

    Votes: 12 37.5%
  • It makes no difference to me, either works fine.

    Votes: 8 25.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious how people like navigating the SD threads this day.

Personally, I found having to open up 10 threads (9 sticky and 1 of greggs non-stuck posts that had been replied to) to be a pain in the butt. Some had one reply, some had a couple since I looked last night. I would have MUCH preferred to have one large thread that I could load in the background and then read all at once. That way the comments might feel a little more connected and have more flow. And future searching would be made easier.

I am not saying this to be a beyotch or anything. It is too late to merge them now, no flow would develop at all. How many don't like the non-merge?

I know several people did not like the merged single thread. Their reasons were long loading times, and (I think) a desire to have their story in their own post. There may be other reasons, feel free to add them.

I am posting a poll. Vote now for next gathering. Single thread? Or many threads? Or don't care which?
 

·
midnight melon mounter
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
This is just about right.

Let each person have a sticky for the week, then merge all posts into one thread this weekend. If this isn't too much work for the admin, I think it works just fine. It may be an abnormally large number of stickies, but the single post was too cumbersome.

This is a special circumstance, and I think the rest of us are enjoying the photos and the descriptions of what these folks are like in the 4 dimensional world.

Thanks Hoo,

Alex
 

·
Soon to be banned
Joined
·
14,475 Posts
dr hoo said:
I am curious how people like navigating the SD threads this day.

Personally, I found having to open up 10 threads (9 sticky and 1 of greggs non-stuck posts that had been replied to) to be a pain in the butt. Some had one reply, some had a couple since I looked last night. I would have MUCH preferred to have one large thread that I could load in the background and then read all at once. That way the comments might feel a little more connected and have more flow. And future searching would be made easier.

I am not saying this to be a beyotch or anything. It is too late to merge them now, no flow would develop at all. How many don't like the non-merge?

I know several people did not like the merged single thread. Their reasons were long loading times, and (I think) a desire to have their story in their own post. There may be other reasons, feel free to add them.

I am posting a poll. Vote now for next gathering. Single thread? Or many threads? Or don't care which?
Personally, I enjoyed seeing the individual pics and comments of the people who took the time and effort to express their experience. If that's not lost in the jumbo post then go for it. It certainly makes sense to file them for posterity.
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alex-in-Evanston said:
It may be an abnormally large number of stickies, but the single post was too cumbersome.
Right now there are about 80 replies to the various threads. Threads in the 100s are common, and some have gotten higher than that.

It is very possible for people to navigate and read threads in chunks. You can limit the number of replies you see from 5 to 100. You can view the hybrid view, and click on subthreads and see only those parts of the threads (the individual stories and all replies to that story).

There is no way to view them all at once with them broken up, but there are plenty of ways to view bits of them when they are all together.
 

·
midnight melon mounter
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
Point taken

dr hoo said:
Right now there are about 80 replies to the various threads. Threads in the 100s are common, and some have gotten higher than that.

It is very possible for people to navigate and read threads in chunks. You can limit the number of replies you see from 5 to 100. You can view the hybrid view, and click on subthreads and see only those parts of the threads (the individual stories and all replies to that story).

There is no way to view them all at once with them broken up, but there are plenty of ways to view bits of them when they are all together.
The people who went on this trip invested a lot of themselves in the time and travel required to meet in one place. They did it partly for their own benefit, but we're enjoying it too. I think that kind of effort should be rewarded with a little space to express themselves individually. It's tough to extract that individual sentiment from the common thread.

Secondly, the fun of reading these posts isn't to see pictures of San Diego. The fun, at least to me, is to learn more about these people with whom I intereact on an almost daily basis. The individual posts accomplish this in a way the common post would not.

Finally, I don't think the dozen stickies are so obtrusive if they're up for just a week or so.
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I take your point.

MTBR passion was my model. That seemed to work fine with a single post, and I don't recall anyone there every feeling diminished by posting within a thread instead of in their own thread.

This place is what people make of it, and what people want it to be. Whatever the majority wants on this will be the standard for future gatherings, as far as I am concerned.
 

·
midnight melon mounter
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
re:

dr hoo said:
And I take your point.

MTBR passion was my model. That seemed to work fine with a single post, and I don't recall anyone there every feeling diminished by posting within a thread instead of in their own thread.

This place is what people make of it, and what people want it to be. Whatever the majority wants on this will be the standard for future gatherings, as far as I am concerned.
This was our first effort at a get-together. I can't imagine the 19th and 20th meeting will get this type of attention, or the 2nd for that matter.

Thanks for the stewardship, big time. I think you're doing a great job, like world-class prefessional-quality, both here and next door.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
merge them for gods sake. I'm interested in reading, but I don't have time to open up 9 active threads.
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
I also like the idea of letting everyone express themselves in their own words and pics for at least a week. Then a good thing to go ahead and merge them. Sorry BocJo about making you read them all. Think of it as another excuse to reduce the amount of work you do for the day.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Ridgetop said:
I also like the idea of letting everyone express themselves in their own words and pics for at least a week. Then a good thing to go ahead and merge them. Sorry BocJo about making you read them all. Think of it as another excuse to reduce the amount of work you do for the day.
No big deal either way to me, but I don't think merging them all into one thread would detract from being able to express yourself. As it is now I tend to just ignore the top section because of the large # of stickies--if there were just 1 I'd probably look as it was updated.
 

·
cyclist
Joined
·
7,904 Posts
I hear ya, hoo. Dang, we're up to 9 stickies?! That is a LOT!

I will merge them and unstick them tomorrow or Thursday.

BTW, I am going to post a sticky in general with links to the SD gathering to give them more exposure.

As a side note, we need to rename NCD. This forum is not just non-cycling discussions (heck, look at all the ride photos!). We need a name akin to Passion on MTBR. I discussed this with Francois yesterday. I'll post about it in a few.

-g
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't mess with success! If you make it passionesque, then it will have more and more cycling, and the people here tend to like the non-cycling stuff. Many wandered in here after getting bored with the cycling stuff elsewhere on the site. Plus, let's face it, road cycling pictures are boring compared to MTB stuff, where stopping and taking XTREME pics is a lot easier.

I really think the reason for this gathering is that people here DON'T talk about bikes most of the time. They got to know each other more, and want to meet because of that.

Maybe commute/touring could be something like "the cycling life"? That would capture both, plus the passion of riding?

Oh, and merge them when you will, but maybe leave it sticky for another week... at least until J's get's his stuff up and that flurry tapers off.
 

·
cyclist
Joined
·
7,904 Posts
Once again, good input.

And <b>I</b> didn't want to be the one to say that road cycling pics are more boring than dirt pics! :)

But, I feel that the title NCD doesn't do this forum justice. Like Francois said to me, it's describing what the forum isn't, not what it is. The cycling stuff in here is different than the cycling stuff in General (On Mtbr, Passion has a much different atmosphere than Mtbr General, even though both have similar themes and topics, at times.)

We <i>could</i> call it Passion, just like MTBR. "Cycling Life" is good. Francois also mentioned "Lifestyle".

I don't think I want to change commuting/touring since that is a niche that is more specific that what the new NCD is about. Personally, I do commute, but I don't tour. But my bike commute is pretty boring, whereas my weekend rides are more interesting/scenic.

-g

(yeah, where IS J's?? And Dave Hickey, for that matter?)
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gregg said:
And <b>I</b> didn't want to be the one to say that road cycling pics are more boring than dirt pics! :)

cough cough fruita gathering cough cough
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
Why change the name........

gregg said:
I hear ya, hoo. Dang, we're up to 9 stickies?! That is a LOT!

I will merge them and unstick them tomorrow or Thursday.

BTW, I am going to post a sticky in general with links to the SD gathering to give them more exposure.

As a side note, we need to rename NCD. This forum is not just non-cycling discussions (heck, look at all the ride photos!). We need a name akin to Passion on MTBR. I discussed this with Francois yesterday. I'll post about it in a few.

-g
if you look at a weeks worth of posts.......maybe 3% have any cycling in them......I think NCD describes the vast majority of what happens here.

Just my .02

Len
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Len J said:
if you look at a weeks worth of posts.......maybe 3% have any cycling in them......I think NCD describes the vast majority of what happens here.

Just my .02

Len
Maybe we should call it "Moreon"?
 

·
cyclist
Joined
·
7,904 Posts
"Moreons Only"?? Has a nice ring....

Before anything changes, we'll put it to the community for sure.

FYI, I just created and sticky'd a single SD Gathering post in General.

-g
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
That was your 10,000th post.......

Bocephus Jones II said:
Maybe we should call it "Moreon"?
WTF?

Moreon

Len
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Len J said:
WTF?

Moreon

Len
I told you (or was that someone else) that I'd f it up! :)

// do I get a free RBR jersey now or something? A personal visit from Gregg? ;)
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top