Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started renting bikes and extending my business trips by a day just this year, and I've had some of the best rides of my life so far because of it. I can't believe I didn't do it earlier. Many bike shops rent bikes at a reasonable cost, I bring my pedals, shoes, helmet, glasses, clothes, and bottle along and presto I am good to go.

I've done this in Denver (Boulder), Ocala, Las Vegas, and Sacramento so far, I highly recommend you try it!

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
yepsters!

I've done with even less than that (since I travel light) - just regular walking/camping type shorts in nylon with a liner, same ones I workout and swim in. a tshirt, which I'd bring anyway to workout in. and running shoes, which I'd bring anyway. That way I can rent whatever crappy mtb or hybrid they have, and get as hard a workout or as easy a casual stroll as I like. *

* yes, I have been known to ride a bike without a helmet.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
How do you find good routes?

DrSmile said:
I've started renting bikes and extending my business trips by a day just this year, and I've had some of the best rides of my life so far because of it. I can't believe I didn't do it earlier. Many bike shops rent bikes at a reasonable cost, I bring my pedals, shoes, helmet, glasses, clothes, and bottle along and presto I am good to go.

I've done this in Denver (Boulder), Ocala, Las Vegas, and Sacramento so far, I highly recommend you try it!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
filtersweep said:
How do you find good routes?
More importantly, how do you find good bike shops?

I have done the same thing with great success in Las Vegas and Portland. I have had less success in other places, such as Memphis. I have found that it is hard to rent a decent bike in many places. The last time I did this, I posted here and got some very good responses for Las Vegas. But, I have to admit, that I'm not sure what I would post if someone asked me where to rent a decent roadbike in my hometown.

Insofar as routes are concerned, I have found in the places that rent decent road bikes, the people at the shops are very good about suggesting routes.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
DrSmile said:

ditto

I also bring a pedal wrench and a multi tool because one of the shops I rent from doesn't like to change out pedals ("too much wear and tear on the crank threads"). I don't argue, I just change them on my own in secret.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MarkS said:
More importantly, how do you find good bike shops?

Insofar as routes are concerned, I have found in the places that rent decent road bikes, the people at the shops are very good about suggesting routes.
I either post in the regional forums or I google "[city] bike rental."

I agree the bike shop can usually supply good routes, or again in the forums here you can find that information.

I also bring a multitool, it's definitely a must to adjust the bike correctly. I've gotten pretty good at quickly adjusting bikes for my geometry!

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
DrSmile said:
I either post in the regional forums or I google "[city] bike rental."

I agree the bike shop can usually supply good routes, or again in the forums here you can find that information.

I also bring a multitool, it's definitely a must to adjust the bike correctly. I've gotten pretty good at quickly adjusting bikes for my geometry!
How did you like the Peak to Peak highway? I think one of the prettiest rides anywhere in good weather.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was quite awesome thank you. Lefthand Canyon was an impressive climb and the scenery on 72 was wonderful. The only thing I wasn't used to was descending for 20 miles, my shoulders were killing me at the end.

Apparently I left at the right time, I'm not so sure my bike and I would fare well in a Tornado...

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
DrSmile said:
It was quite awesome thank you. Lefthand Canyon was an impressive climb and the scenery on 72 was wonderful. The only thing I wasn't used to was descending for 20 miles, my shoulders were killing me at the end.

Apparently I left at the right time, I'm not so sure my bike and I would fare well in a Tornado...
That's mostly out east, but you probably would have gotten some hail. I'm riding tonight so I hope it gets it all out of its system before then. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.