Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have them? We have a deck that runs the entire length of the back of our house and spend a lot of time out there. We live in a pretty mild climate, so we can utilize the deck 8-9 months out of the year. I am thinking of wiring a couple speakers out there, mounted under the overhang, running from a receiver in the room next to the deck. Is this more trouble than it's worth? Should I just continue to use a boom box with iPod dock?

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
I think it is worth the trouble. It's a classy perk for resale, there are some good quality outdoor speakers from any of the decent audio companies that are indoor-outdoor and can tolerate the weather. I've had speakers mounted under the soffit in my last two homes.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah, nothing is more lame than having a really nice house and having to drag a boombox outside. The speakers will really add a level of cool to your deck. Then you can have them play non stop satellite radio, or internet.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JayTee said:
I think it is worth the trouble. It's a classy perk for resale, there are some good quality outdoor speakers from any of the decent audio companies that are indoor-outdoor and can tolerate the weather. I've had speakers mounted under the soffit in my last two homes.
Thanks for the reply. I had to google "soffit." I have one and didn't even realize it.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JayTee said:
Also- How hard are they to set up? I am assuming mounting them, running the wires in some way where they are hidden, and drilling a hole through a wall to connect to the receiver. Is that about right?

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Have had outdoor speakers for over 15 years now and on our third set. Currently have Mirage speakers mounted up under the eves.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Not that easy

Your source is adjusted for the main speakers in your living room I presume. So some things to think about are outdoor speakers that emulate the default treble-mid-bass that you have inside. The outdoor speaks will have different responses, range, and sound.
My 2 cents; install a separate system. Drive your outdoor speaks with their own source.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
I use my Denon receiver to drive a 5.1 system inside and a stereo setup outside with Klipsch speakers all around. The receiver lets you use a 5.1 / stereo system or a 7.1 system. Works like a charm.

·
It's Good For You!
432 Posts
I live at 10k feet in CO. I have them. I picked up some cheap "indoor/outdoor" Advent speakers about 4 years ago. They get pounded by weather and sun. Still sound great. I think I paid around $90 for them.

·
7,746 Posts
lampshade said:
Also- How hard are they to set up? I am assuming mounting them, running the wires in some way where they are hidden, and drilling a hole through a wall to connect to the receiver. Is that about right?
Depends on your budget and persnicketyness ... the joy of speaker wires outside is that you can paint them to match wall or soffit, or hide 'em inside. Since the good ones have outdoor bracket mounts (don't need to be recessed) it's really just a logistical analysis and what you can tolerate wire-wise.

·
7,746 Posts
Haven't had that experience. I've used my main receiver in one house but also in another just added a 8-room switch box. I guess it depends what you want. But one of my inputs is a juke box and for parties, I want it to play throughout the house, multi-room and indoor-outdoor.

Using a separate source for outdoors doesn't work for parties is all I'm sayin'.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
If you decide to install outside speakers, make sure that the sound in focused on your deck and not your next door neighbor's house. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Completely agree

Just saying to give it some thought and do it right so you get whatyou want/expect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts