Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks... I got my boss going into cycling and he wants to do a trip out west to do some riding/hiking and sight seeing. He is pretty fit but not a strong rider and not so great handling skills. Id really like to find some good easy single track that isnt too steep but would have nice scenery along the way.... anybody know of a good outfitter that could set us up? Thanks to all!

·
Registered
46 Posts
One word....

Moab.

With Arches National Park, Canyonlands and several great mountain bike trails Moab takes the prize for best place in the west to ride.

I would look up either Poison Spider Bicycles or Chile Pepper bikes for rentals and shuttle service. Be sure and ride Porcupine Rim (13 miles of downhill!), Poison Spider Mesa and Amasa Back.

Arches National Park is incredible too, no riding but great views. Canyonlands if fun to wander around in too. Petroglphys and Dinosaur tracks are cool to go see too.

http://www.chilebikes.com/
http://www.poisonspiderbikes.com/

I've been there 5 times and will go 5 more, its that good! Oh, great road riding too and the shops rent road bikes as well as MTB.

MC
Edit - Sorry, didn't see the "easy" part. There are several easy trails in Moab too(I listed some harder ones!). The White Rim trail, Monitor/merrimac are good ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys Ill check these out! Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
21,641 Posts
Cyclists' Yellow Pages

flyforfood99 said:
Hey folks... I got my boss going into cycling and he wants to do a trip out west to do some riding/hiking and sight seeing. He is pretty fit but not a strong rider and not so great handling skills. Id really like to find some good easy single track that isnt too steep but would have nice scenery along the way.... anybody know of a good outfitter that could set us up? Thanks to all!
If you go to the Adventure Cycling web site (adventurecycling.org) and click on Cyclists' Yellow Pages, you can search on Tour Operators and search by a bunch of parameters. You can be sure that any Tour Operator who doesn't specify "advanced riders only" will cater to riders just like your boss. There are tour operators all over the west.

·
Registered
838 Posts
How about Sedona? not much climbing, easy , well-marked, heavily traveled trails, and scenery like crazy. Not high altitude, and not too far from a major airport (Phoenix is about 2 hours if I remember right.)

We didn't use an outfitter, just got advice and maps from the bike shops that rented us bikes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fruita Colorado

Fruita is handsdown the best mtn. biking i have done out west (tahoe, moab, crested butte, wyoming, idaho....). The trails are not technical and the climbing is very comparable to out east (1000ft max climbs)..most around 400ft. It is like riding a slicky smooth roller coaster. Check out this great bike shop (with incredible website and maps) http://www.otesports.com/visit/trails.cfm. Gets awfully hot in Moab and Fruita in the next month. April, May, late september, october are times to ride in the desert.

I would also recommend Sun Valley, Idaho. Sweet, mellow town with the best kept secret of forested smooth singletrack.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
EndoMadness said:
Fruita is handsdown the best mtn. biking i have done out west (tahoe, moab, crested butte, wyoming, idaho....). The trails are not technical and the climbing is very comparable to out east (1000ft max climbs)..most around 400ft. It is like riding a slicky smooth roller coaster. Check out this great bike shop (with incredible website and maps) http://www.otesports.com/visit/trails.cfm. Gets awfully hot in Moab and Fruita in the next month. April, May, late september, october are times to ride in the desert.

I would also recommend Sun Valley, Idaho. Sweet, mellow town with the best kept secret of forested smooth singletrack.
Fruita not technical????

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fruita- i guess everything is relative, but i get off my bike maybe twice a day in Fruita (18 road or Kokopelli trails). You can ride 18 road trails, depending which ones you choose and never get off your bike. Much Much easier than Moab (Porcupine, Posion Spider, Amasa).

All opinion i guess.....my wife will only ride in Fruita....put it that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.