Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Short list

brewster said:
What are the common signs of over training?
Not all of these are required - sometimes you just have one: elevated morning pulse, pulse goes up quickly with little effort, pulse can't be elevated into normal range, susceptibility to illness, poor sleep quality, lack of interest in training, loss of appetite, irritability

· Registered
152 Posts
diarreha or really runny bowel movements. i frequently have these symptoms after coming back into training while running, lifting, and riding in the spring.

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Completely idividual

marshall21205 said:
how much training is over training? or does this all depend on the person that is doing the training?
For out of shape people, it could be 100 miles per week. Some pros reportedly ride 600 miles per week at their peak training, and obviously race more than that in stage races. There's no way to predict how any individual will react to training load. You just have to do it, and as you ramp up your training volume and intensity, you monitor for the signs of overtraining.

· Registered
291 Posts
One of my signs is a thirst that can't be quenched. At its worst you feel like you've got the flu. When I used to religously record my resting pulse rate every day I could tell right away that I was headed into trouble as it would suddenly jump.

· Registered
252 Posts
If you train with a power meter, you can monitor your training load with TSS. The intensity and duration of your training ride or races will determine your TSS. The higher the score, the more stress you are putting your body. Once you begin to notice the feeling of eternal fatigue, feeling like you have a cold and won't go away, or any other symptoms, that's your limit. Is time to taper off. A good way to test it is obviously during the Winter when you load up yourself with lots of base miles. During the Winter, there was a month I would ride 6 days a week for 3 weeks straight or 4 weeks straight. You can overtrain only if you have over-reached but didn't taper off.

marshall21205 said:
how much training is over training? or does this all depend on the person that is doing the training?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.