Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know from the more experienced riders if there are any special
tricks to sublimating, ignoring, getting past, whatever word you want to use
when Lactic Acid starts building up and the ache becomes overwhelming.
I already think I know not to do the deathgrip on the bars or squint, or tense
up the shoulders. Thanks.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Well, the self-berating approach seems to work for me. Something along the lines of saying to myself "HTFU you pu$$y geez you suck you better effin get that wheel don't sit up GD it" etc.

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Well, the self-berating approach seems to work for me. Something along the lines of saying to myself "HTFU you pu$$y geez you suck you better effin get that wheel don't sit up GD it" etc.
Prettymuch. There is no "happy place," only you screaming at yourself in your head to just go faster.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that's funny! I'm already fully on board with the self-directed obscenities.
The other day I had to explain myself to another rider who heard me cursing wildly and thought I was threatening him. He went away appeased, but no less certain that I was a madman. Guess I was looking for some Zen or transcendental meditiation solution.

·
Dr. Flats a lot
742 Posts
I've always been taught to concentrate on one aspect of your riding. During TT or fast flat riding I try to concentrate on my pedal stroke and cadence. Helps to distract you from the pain a bit. Climbing I'll generally concentrate on the rear hub of the guy ahead of me (there's always a couple to choose from.)

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Prettymuch. There is no "happy place," only you screaming at yourself in your head to just go faster.

Yep, although it can be a little situational.

On a climb I just get downright pissed at the climb, and start cussing at it and swearing at it.:thumbsup:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I try to think "Happy Thoughts"........These "Happy Thoughts" entail the guy in front of me burning in hell for eternity.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I only get that sort of burn when I am warming up, once my muscles begin clearing LA, I am pretty good(pain wise) up to V2Max. at V2max my breathing and HR are maxed and I eventually must slow down. in my case my LT is 87% of V2max and I am good at clearing LA above LT. if you are having serious problems with pain, you need to know about yourself whether is simply hurts, or are you at failure. there's a big difference. failure will not go away unless you back off. pain that is felt below failure can be ignored or even embraced - but again, this only works if you know enough about yourself to understand whether or not you can survive through it. like when I warm up I feel some burn at an HR of 100-120. that's such a low level that I know I am just getting warmed up and it will clear. but I hate the process of warming up through it. this is exactly the reason that I often warmup for 45 full minutes before starting a 45min crit. I want that initial pain over with before the race, not during.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I do it by putting myself there (intervals) more often. The easier it becomes for me to make myself hurt (i.e. the more willing I am to suffer), the easier it is to get through it. It is like me saying, "I've been here before, I've survived it, and I'll be here again."

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
If my legs feel it, usually my lungs are searing too much to scream or swear out loud.

Thus, I resort to telling myself, in my head, that I'm a pansy and if I were a pro, I'd be doing this same interval at least 3-4+mph faster than I am. If they can do it, why can't I? If the guy in front of me can hold 30mph for 60s in a breakaway, why can't I hold his wheel?

(don't say drugs. i still want some hope for completing my intervals or hard rides)

I take the anti-Marvin approach. Works well for me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Remember in group or race situations that others are hurting too...relish their pain as you suffer yours with crossed eyes. When really suffering pay greater attention to your form and economy on the bike.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Self-affirmation works for some guys, I used to race with a guy who would do them out loud. Kind of funny, kind of annoying, and really it just let everyone know that he was in the hurt box. Here are my mental tricks:

If I am at risk of getting gapped near the top of a climb, I use my former teammate Rick's famous line "Bigger gear, same cadence". I put that sucker into practice last Sunday.

If it is single-file and I am at my limit, I tell myself it won't stay like this FOREVER. And that if I am hurting then so are most of the other guys.

If I am having a tough day and my confidence is not high, I remind myself of all the sacrifice I have made to be there on the day (training, travel, life) so I better suck it up and put everything into the effort.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Old Belgian saying.

MR_GRUMPY said:
I try to think "Happy Thoughts"........These "Happy Thoughts" entail the guy in front of me burning in hell for eternity.
If you're not a church-goer, now I know why. You're still looking for the religion that not only guarantees you a place in heaven, but also a place in hell for your neighbor. :D

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I follow a school of thought of calmness. I think about the minute details or the fundamentals of riding. I concentrate on each pedal stroke, my breathing, the chain shifting gears. I focus on what is pushing me forward from a very low level. I am no where near any sort of competitive level, but it works for me when I am pushing myself hard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.