Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know when to say when, that is, when you should stop eating at rest stops during long charity rides, where plenty of good free food is available?

At some point, the blood going to your digestive system has got to take away from your cycling ability and endurance, no?

TIA.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I learned on one of my first very long rides; we were at the lunch stop and this young lady I was riding with was also a marathon runner; I ate the usual box, sandwhich, chips, cookies, etc. She said, "how can you eat so much" I didn't think it was much; she left me in my tracks. mainly the sandwich with a lot of bread slowed me down.

Now it's a PBJ at the lunch stop and the rest is just Energy Bars or Gel and worry about eating later. I have also develped the ability to go 20 miles between reststops, as opposed to 10, too much socialization at the reststops, next thing you know you have been out there for 6 hours when you could have done it in 4.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Experience

NJgreyhead said:
How do you know when to say when, that is, when you should stop eating at rest stops during long charity rides, where plenty of good free food is available?

At some point, the blood going to your digestive system has got to take away from your cycling ability and endurance, no?
It's all about personal experience. What you can tolerate is a combination of the type of food, how hard you are riding, how hungry you are, what you are used to, etc. If the "long charity ride" is 60 miles, then you have a very different situation than if it's 100 miles. With 60 miles many people can get by with one stop at 30 miles while taking in 500 calories. For 100 miles, you might need 1500+ spread over multiple stops.

PS the food isn't free. You paid for it :)

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
The ~78mi charity ride I was at this summer was the first time I tried Clif Shot Bloks. I considerably OD'd on that stuff. Tastes better than most candy - well anything - I've ever tried. :D

Not sure how many of those I had, but only other stuff I had was, was some protein-electrolyte beverage. Tried all 4 flavors of it throughout the ride. The last bottle or two, I really didn't need. I probably hit the ~2,000kcal mark overall. Wasn't going slug pace so I didn't feel guilty. Will also say that I didn't eat much of the free fish tacos after the ride.

Probably do some "taste-testing" again next year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts