Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to obtain what I'm assuming must be a special tool which would allow me to access Look pedals' internals? It's not a regular wrench...the interface looks like it requires some sort of splined tool akin to a Shimano bottom bracket tool. Anyone have any experience with overhauling Looks?

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
There is a tool...

Is something wrong with the pedal? Unless you have very old (first generation) Looks, there's not much in there to maintain - a cartridge bearing, sometimes a bushing, and usually needle bearings on the axle end. Best case you can clean stuff a bit and get some fresh grease in there. Unless they're making horrible noises (probably a bad cartridge bearing depending on model), I wouldn't muck around in there for the hell of it.

Having said that, there's a few options -

1. Use channel locks and a rag carefully to remove the lock nut - this works and if memory serves me correctly the lock nut is reverse threaded and is not torqued down terribly tight.
2. Use a locknut tool for Shimano SPD pedals - these are similar enough to work
3. Wait until I get home on Friday and if I have 2 of the tools in question, the spare is yours. I know I have 1 LOOK specific tool, the other I'm not sure if it's Shimano or LOOK. In any case you can have the extra one if you can wait a few days. I don't ride LOOK's anymore.

Let me know if you want it - shoot me an email off-line.

Mike

·
Le Rouleur
74 Posts
Brantford Bikes sell's or used to, the look tool to pull the axle to grease pedals.
Makes a huge difference to relube the pedals every season.
cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts