Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get back at cycling after several years of hiatus. So I just found out about Strava.
Today, since Im off, Im getting an Garmin Edge 520. Debating on getting the bundle package. I already have an older Suunto T6D with HR, cadence, speed sensors.
I don't want to duplicate and spend more if I already have everything.
Suunto's Movescount - website can be linked with strava as does the garmin.

Finally, my question.
If I use gamins GPS can the data be overlap onto to Suunto's data?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I don't think strava will do it. You will have to use 3rd party software to combine the data, then manually load the new file to strava. Golden cheetah has a merge function. But, i have not used that function. I am not sure how well the two files will end up aligning. E.g. you start recording with both devices at slighlt different times and various autopauses happen during the ride. I would not expect the different files to match in terms of gps position and hr.

You don't need a speed sensor for the garmin to report speed. It is better with a sensor, but it will display speed based on gps.

Fwiw, i would either keep what you have or buy the non-bundled 520 and add on ant+ accessories. The garmin hrm strap is not wonderful. I like garmin's newer separate non-magnetic speed and cadence sensors (the speed sensor is attached to a hub - so no wheel magnet or thing mounted on the chainstay). I also prefer the wahoo tckr hrm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts