Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry many tools on my beater bike. Chain tool, levers, hex wrenches.
Several days ago the rear shifter cable snapped putting me in the smallest cog. Too much for me. Immediately I thought of tightening the set screw, and moving the chain to a bigger cog. No screwdriver! I was able to borrow one however, and continue the ride.
Now I will carry a tiny screwdriver on my road bike, as well as the mountain bike.
How can I carry a tool for every possibility. A spoke can break. I can't carry tools for that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've never had to try but I read that you can manually cahnge gears with your hand by pushing on the derailleur if the cable breaks.

I have a very small tool I bought at Sears a few years back. A small flat 1 inch piece of metal when folded. Legs fold out into a small set of pliers, phillips one one leg and a flat head on the other. Very small minitool. Other riders have borrowed it, one ofr pulling a pin out of a chain and the other to pull a broken pin from the softride beam on a tandem.

Headphones as reference

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
How about buying a bike tool?

You are looking for a screwdriver correct? Virtually ALL bike tools have one included, both slotted and Philips.Cost ya maybe $20.00 bucks
daniell said:
I carry many tools on my beater bike. Chain tool, levers, hex wrenches.
Several days ago the rear shifter cable snapped putting me in the smallest cog. Too much for me. Immediately I thought of tightening the set screw, and moving the chain to a bigger cog. No screwdriver! I was able to borrow one however, and continue the ride.
Now I will carry a tiny screwdriver on my road bike, as well as the mountain bike.
How can I carry a tool for every possibility. A spoke can break. I can't carry tools for that.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
just check what tools 'fit' your bike... if you've got levers, 4,5,6mm, screwdriver and chain tool you've got most of it covered... spoke wrench is small and might be useful, prob don't need fw/casette/bb/hs tools. most multitools have lots of things that will go unused

·
Registered
243 Posts
daniell said:
Has anyone used the Kevlar spoke?
One of my riding buddies carries one with him and had to use it last year. It took a little while to lace it up and tighten it but it did work. He was able to straighten the back wheel and was able to finish the ride without opening the brake caliper. However, this only works on wheels with exposed nipples and a 2 mm spoke diameter.

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Spoke tool

daniell said:
A spoke can break. I can't carry tools for that.
Actually, that's the easiest tool to carry. Just file a notch of the appropriate width in the "grab end" of your house key. I've used the "house key spoke wrench" numerous times with good success.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Unless you're undertaking a round-the-world or a cross the US solo ride there virtually isn't a way or a reason to carry tools for every possibility. I only carry tools for common maladies, e.g., flats and tightening various loose parts. I carry a 5mm hex wrench, 2 tire levers, 2 tubes, a tire boot & a spoke wrench. That's it. If I need anything else I'll either limp into a place of safety or use the cell phone. JMO, I think mini tools are a waste of $$.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
^ this.

Plus, they weigh a ton and take up space. Oh, the humanity! :)

I agree w/ both... you will never need many of the tools on those things, plus they are often soft and low quality, meaning they will round off. I've found a double-ended 5-6 and a double ended 4-screwdriver and some levers are all that are needed the vast majority of time

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
tools

https://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/martinrjensen/tools.jpgHere is a picture of my tool kit that I take on every ride I do, save for the occasional grocery store run which is only a few blocks away.
FatTireFred said:
I agree w/ both... you will never need many of the tools on those things, plus they are often soft and low quality, meaning they will round off. I've found a double-ended 5-6 and a double ended 4-screwdriver and some levers are all that are needed the vast majority of time

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
As long as your multitool has a chaintool, you can fix the majority of bike problems that will occur to you. Assuming you bring a pump and tube with you as well.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Prevention is the answer... cables don't just randomly snap: that thing had likely been fraying for a long time... spokes don't just randomly break... likely it's been hit hard, out of true / tension for a while... flats, sure those can happen anytime... but they happen less often with tires that are not worn out... etc

I carry a mini tool, but I also take care of my bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts