1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
well, I don't use it much (too dumb to know how to operate it), but my wife uses her kitchenaid mixer all the time, and that thing was pretty darn expensive (luckily she got it for a present).

Oh, and the Ibis Handjob bottle opener she won off ebay as a present for me a few years ago was way over priced, but probably one of the kitchen implements that I use the most.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
I have a complete set of Kitchenaid pans, best kitchen purchase ever. I didn't pay full price for them, not even close, but I would if it were the only way to get them, they are so worth it.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5,627 Posts

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Gaggenau Double Wall Oven

We're just finishing a new kitchen which has taken a big toll on my riding miles.

The oven's not exactly a gadget, but it's full of them: built in food temperature probe, built in rotisserie, custom fitted pizza stone, convection heat, bottom heat, top broiling and almost any combination makes for the most delicious cooking, roasting, broiling and baking ever. It has an interior light that is "on" continuously during operation so you can watch your tasty creation in the making.

The first thing it produced was a rotisserie / broiled chicken. It was absolutely the best chicken my wife or I ever made.

My two favorite real gadgets are a French folding corkscrew (sommalier type) and a French hand operated food grater by Mouli. Both are simple, effective, easy to use, easy to clean and quick to put away.

I think my wife would vote for the exhaust hood over the cooktop. It's got a 1600 cfm, remote mounted fan and 10" duct. You could almost refine your time trial position with that baby turned on....

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
I bought a set of really cool hand turned salt and pepper grinder set. Pricey and beautiful. So they arrive and are really nice looking and all- I load the grinder up with peppercorns and it wouldn't grind. We try all settings and it just wasn't cuttin' it. So I send it back. The seller said our peppercorns were too big and we should use a smaller peppercorn. I replied we couldn't very well size the freekin peppercorns to match the grinder, it either grinds our peppercorns or it doesn't.

I know you wanted an example of an item that works- but this was all I could come up with - one that didn't.

Oh wait, I know. Henckels knives. Gotta love the four star.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Forschner knives - Great value for a chef grade knife

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
rwbadley said:
I bought a set of really cool hand turned salt and pepper grinder set. Pricey and beautiful. So they arrive and are really nice looking and all- I load the grinder up with peppercorns and it wouldn't grind. We try all settings and it just wasn't cuttin' it. So I send it back. The seller said our peppercorns were too big and we should use a smaller peppercorn. I replied we couldn't very well size the freekin peppercorns to match the grinder, it either grinds our peppercorns or it doesn't.

I know you wanted an example of an item that works- but this was all I could come up with - one that didn't.

Oh wait, I know. Henckels knives. Gotta love the four star.
Get a Peugeot--Bought one to replace a cheap Crate and Barrel model that broke. Works great.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Get a Peugeot--Bought one to replace a cheap Crate and Barrel model that broke. Works great.

man, bikes (well, used to), cars, and pepper grinders? is there anything that Peugeot doesn't make?

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
You're right. That is overpriced.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
I've always found that the cheap plastic japanese mandolines (e.g., Benreiner) are much cheaper and work just as well, if not better than the clunky french steel ones. What's your take?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts