Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to sell my litespeed vortex. Over the past two weeks I have had about four offers for the bike. Each and everyone has wanted to overpay and have the pickup arranged through a "shipping agent", "lawyer" or "business associate." I have just today noticed on RBR that there is such a scam going on, I knew something smelled fishy; but made it very clear with one buyer that I would not release the bike until the "cheque" was cleared through the bank. I am going to request a PayPal arraingement with this person, should he refuse I will cancel agreements and notify RBR of his name.

The other names to be cautious of are James Bruce, Robert Jones and Joannes Luis. Watch out! All of their emails are nearly identical. If you have had any problems with these same people let me know.

Eades Hogue

·
Registered
1 Posts
Robert Jones

Guess what, over the last two days I have been sending pictures and emails to a Robert Jones. Today he told me that his "client" wants to buy my back for the asking price. He will be sending excess in a cheque for shipping and his commission. I can't believe these idiots. I asked for his country and phone number. I expect that is the last i will hear from him. Maybe buyers need to register or something with RBR.

Thanks for your email. I thought things were fishy. When i read your email and saw his name and type of correspondence that confirmed it for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
new scammers to watch out for

JimFuchs said:
Guess what, over the last two days I have been sending pictures and emails to a Robert Jones. Today he told me that his "client" wants to buy my back for the asking price. He will be sending excess in a cheque for shipping and his commission. I can't believe these idiots. I asked for his country and phone number. I expect that is the last i will hear from him. Maybe buyers need to register or something with RBR.

Thanks for your email. I thought things were fishy. When i read your email and saw his name and type of correspondence that confirmed it for me.
check out these other three guys, mention paypal in your ad and i bet you will never hear from them again! Eades

·
Registered
4 Posts
dont be fooled

Well this same thing happeed to me and a friend last summer. How it works is that they will send you this check, you will deposit it and pay their "associate" the difference and then once oyu have paid they stop payment on the check and you are out this ridiculous amount of money. Just wanted to let you know. Im suggesting paypal only for buying and selling. Last time i didnt I lost $1000 (last week). Its a tricky game but everyone cant afford to apy retail!
Andy

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Gee....after 6 years of nigerian overpayment scams online, I thought everybody had heard of it by now. Guess there are still a few suckers out there.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sarah Albert

eadeshogue said:
The other names to be cautious of are James Bruce, Robert Jones and Joannes Luis. Watch out! All of their emails are nearly identical. If you have had any problems with these same people let me know.

Eades Hogue
also watch out for Sarah Albert who is trying to do the same thing. The contact info she provided:

560 BOLIVER AVENUE,
SOUTHGATE,SOUTHAMPTON,
SO14 3HY.
+447031848269

[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts