Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well... maybe not clinical depression, but really bad lows...

So, sunday I did my longest ride to date. A 70+ Mile loop from the San Fernando Valley in LA, towards LAX, down to Dockweiler beach, back up sepulveda. Was loads of fun, 5ish hours in the saddle. I was spent on the way home, had to stop twice for gatoraide/food.

Anyways fast forward to this week, I hit a serious low starting mondayish...that is continuing to today. Just wondering if there can be a connection...Does this make any sense? or am I just looking for connections where they dont exist?

thanks

nK

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am not a doctor, but I have experienced similar symptoms at a couple of occasions.

I found the reason to be simple exhaustion. I have noticed how the lack of sleep over an extended period of time can significantly affect the feeling of wellbeing.

I would assume that the reason for the downish feelings will disappear as the body recovers from the ride.
The times when I ride until I hit the wall, are practically always followed by a temporary feeling of disgust for biking and some lethargy. The only thing that helps is to sleep, eat and just let the body recover.

Don't worry... The temporary feeling of being down will probably be followed by an urge a few days later to try to go even further and faster. With the improvement of the physical condition, the wall comes later and later. In time, you will be riding centuries and enjoy every second of it.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I rode 115 miles this past Saturday (My longest distance yet). Sunday I was a little sore but i forced myself to ride a 20 mile ride to loosen up. Actually felt decent on my bike. Monday I rode almost 30 miles with a few fast pace sets.. Still felt decent.
Last night I wanted to ride all day.. got home.. got ready... got riding.. After 8 miles I said eff this and went home.
My legs are tight.. I've been stretching and rubbing my legs as much as possible without hurting them.. I feel like a zombie... and I've been getting at least 8 hours of sleep the past few nights. Considering how blah I've been I can see how it's all connected to over exertion. I'll get better with rest.

So you're not alone. I feel for ya!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I can relate, I ride before starting work in the morning meaning I leave home anywhere between 1 and 4am for rides between 2.5-4.5hours 3 times or more a week mon-fri. This means I dont sleep a whole lot and I noticed the days after emptying the tank on only a few hours sleep if I dont rest properly and keep pushing myself im feeling fairly down. This usually goes away as soon as you have a nap, eat something even though you think you may not be hungry. Dont be afraid to put the feet up and chill.

·
Registered
165 Posts
BentChainring said:
Just wondering if there can be a connection...Does this make any sense? or am I just looking for connections where they dont exist?
nK
Yes, there very well could be a connection. Last time I was overtrained I definitely felt like crap, mentally and physically. I would take it easy and avoid the bike for 2-3 days, hopefully that'll take care of it. If not, you might be seriously overtrained and will need to take it easy for a long time to get out of it.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
"Training" makes me depressed. I'm probably not the one who should be answering your question.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Depressed? You know what cheers you up?

UPGRADES!

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Overtraining? As in, are you actually training for something? Have you budged any room for recovery rides? I only have a computer on one of my bikes--- and find it much better taking recovery rides on one of the others. I also find it better to ride without my HRM if I really want to take it easy. Do you have a fixed gear or mountain bike to break things up a bit?

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
BentChainring said:
well... maybe not clinical depression, but really bad lows...

So, sunday I did my longest ride to date. A 70+ Mile loop from the San Fernando Valley in LA, towards LAX, down to Dockweiler beach, back up sepulveda. Was loads of fun, 5ish hours in the saddle. I was spent on the way home, had to stop twice for gatoraide/food.

Anyways fast forward to this week, I hit a serious low starting mondayish...that is continuing to today. Just wondering if there can be a connection...Does this make any sense? or am I just looking for connections where they dont exist?

thanks

nK
it's not the riding, it's your 3hours of sleep per night

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
overtraining is a chronic condition, not an acute one following a long training ride (which is more typically over-reaching and can be corrected with an extra day of recovery etc).. Most people aren't at as much risk of overtraining as they suppose. They may have reached a plateau due to not periodizing enough with recovery, but that's distinct from overtraining.

Just make sure you eat and drink sufficiently to restore calories spent, sleep enough, and schedule recovery days or days off the bike. If you're really concerned about it, keep a journal noting both riding details along with other life events so over time you can see if there are correlations with these and mood.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Depression is one of the symptoms of overtraining (kind of), amongst many others... however...

Overtraining is REALLY hard to do. It requires months, not days. I can tell you with fairly high confidence that you're not overtrained, or even overreached.

I'm willing to bet your depression is from something else.

Iz you PMS'ing? :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I overreached for about two months and it cuased me to become severly depresssed. I had to take one full week off the bike and do very short rides when I started riding again. I was advised by my doctor to take b-6 and b-12 to help with deprssion it helped a little. But I agree with cruzer2424. Before you diagnose yourself you need to look at every single thing that is going on in your personal life before you pull out the overtraining card. Also riding that type of distance if your not use to it can totally deplete your body of all nutrition. So if your not properly recovering protien, carbs, electrolytes, vitamins you will feel depressed till your sytem gets back to normal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had similar problems this year. The reasons that I felt led up to this were 1. not enough racing (only once a month) left me feeling like I was training for nothing. 2. I was slacking on keeping a training diary which I feel helps with demonstrating progress over the season and also identify past highs and lows with performance and mental state. 3. a weekly planner to help with clearly stating goals and objectives which helps you grind through workouts that you may not particulary want to do, and giving you a sense of acomplishment when you've checked off the workout as completed.
good luck!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
i am having some serious depression last night and today. over the weekend i rode my new cross for about 9hrs on some steep fire roads and kept my avg hr in the 160's for a few hours straight both saturday and sunday. friday I did 2 one hour spin classes back to back with no rest between them... blah blah blah. anyways the past 3 days i think I pushed myself more than usual and I know that I did not drink enough water and eat enough calories soon enough after riding. plus i have been eating a lot of insoluble fiber lately (over 100g/day).

anyways, i'm sure i will be back to normal by wednesday.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I tend to get a little whacky rather than depressed. so clever i don't even make sense, thought that was part of the fun. I was all goofed out after back to back 96milers last wekend. I was knackered at work yesterday though. Co-workers wondering "what is that guy on?". Higj on cycling!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.