Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been feeling really good on the bike lately, so about a week ago I decided to try an all out 3 mile TT to see where my form was at. To my surprise, I couldn't get my HR above my lactate threshold. My max HR is 196 and I'm usually able to ride these TT's at 190. I couldn't get my HR above 182 the entire time. I wasn't quite sure what was going on. Yesterday, I tried another 3 mile TT and the same thing happened. I started to do some reading and I'm pretty sure it's a sign of overtraining. I thought this was odd considering that I get a considerable amount of time off the bike. Anyway, I'm wondering what the best way to recover from overtraining is. How long should it take and what routine should I follow? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
you likely are suffering from nothing more serious than the bad training by poorly understood numbers. HR is only a vague approximation of effort and power output. You were going at a hard effort, you say nothing about your power or speed (I understand you may not know power, but how was your speed?), and you're totally focused on the HR number.
Your HR may be low at the same perceived effort for a number of reasons, including increased cardio-pulmonary efficiency, the intended result of all of your hard work. As your heart strengthens, it pumps more blood with each pulse. That's kind of what you're shooting for. You may be a bit tired, which might also push the HR down, but if you're "feeling good on the bike," then it likely is not overtraining and nothing a couple of good night's sleep wouldn't cure.
One danger of feeling good, though, is pushing, pushing, pushing, and not allowing your body to rest, so that you will eventually burn out. Pace yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.