Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been mountain biking for about 2 years now and have gotten over alot of my newbie issues with that so I recently got a road bike, about 6 months ago. I figured hey I can mountain bike, I can road bike too. Well apparently there are a lot of differences between the two sports because I am experiencing some issues I never had with my MTB. :)

My most pressing issue is currently with my right hand. I went for a 40 mile ride the other day and afterwards my hand felt tired but did not hurt so I didn't think much of it. Then the next day it started hurting and is still hurting over a week later even though I have not ridden on that bike again. The pain is right in the "meaty" part of my hand between my thumb and pointer right where my hand rests on the "hoods". I do tend to ride almost exclusively in the hoods so I plan to start moving my hands around a lot more if I can ever get this pain to go away so I can ride again :( . it's only my right hand, my left is completely pain free.

another issue I am having is with my saddle. I was professionally fitted to the bike when I bought it but the saddle the bike came with was very uncomfortable, even 20-30 miles was very uncomfortable. I went back after about 30 days to get re-fitted but that didn't really help with the saddle issues so I ditched it and bought a Terry brand saddle. while not exactly comfortable it is much better than the stock saddle. I think with more riding it will be a good fit but that remains to be seen.

I am wondering if I sort of jumped in a little too fast. In other words I just jumped on the bike and expected to be able to do 40-50 mile rides right off the bat. Should I try to ease into it a little more? I am also wondering in general how much pain and discomfort is normal for new rider on a new bike. Is what I am experiencing normal adjustment issues or is it more serious than that and something I need to address by maybe going back to be refitted again?

For the record I am female and am riding a Specialized Dolce Elite.

· Registered
70 Posts
When I started riding I had some of the same issues. My hands in particular. Thirty minutes before I ride I take 2 ibuprofen. It has taken care of almost all of my hand pain. As far as my butt is concerned I ditched my stock seat and bought a Pro Link Selle Italia gel seat. I have almost no pain.

· Registered
638 Posts
I went through the same exact thing. After 8 saddles I now ride a Terry Fly and am comfortable all day long. Also Specialized BG Pro gloves fixed my hand issue. Remember to switch up where you hold the bars on long rides. Dont wait till your hands hurt just change positions every 10 miles or so. Also remember that adjusting the angle of your seat up or down will in turn adjust the ratio of where youre weight is being placed as in hands/butt. for example turning the nose of your seat up with put more weight on your saddle and relieve some from the hands.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
There are several things you can do that might ease the pain in your hand(s).
1. Take a look at the drop between the saddle & your bars. 2-4 cm is common. If it's more than that, you might want to think about raising your bars (if you can)
2. Buy some good, padded gloves. Personally, I like the gel padded ones. IMO,IME Spenco makes the best gloves. I especially like their "Rip It" model. Just Google Spenco.
3. Bar tape can also help. I prefer Deda cork. Lots of other brands also make cork, there's some padded tape out there, and you can also buy pads that go under the tape.
4. Change hand position...OFTEN. I've never really kept track of how often I change hand position, but I'll bet it's less than 10 min.
5. Strengthening your abs & working on your posture and riding position will also help you out.

· Registered
960 Posts
Everyone else already mentioned all that things I would have suggested, I just wanted to complement you on your ride... My wife has the Dolce Elite and has been nothing but happy with it.

· scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
I want to state that sometimes more padding in the gloves is worse than none at all. Sometimes bunching and seams make it worse. Check to make sure your glove does not have some sort of issue there.

The others are right, I sometimes think you have to ease into road bike positioning. When trying to relieve issues, its often better to do one at a time. If your butt is in so much pain, I really do see the propensity to move your weight forward to relieve the pressure on that area. Raising your handlebars may work, and also serve to move your butt back a little on the saddle. Remember no fit is 100% dead on, you will need to tweak it as you go.

With a mountain background, I would think your posterior is pretty suited for saddle time, however, remember often mtn bikes have suspension, and you are out of the saddle a lot more. If the saddle on the mtn bike is comfortable... you might compare the two for shape. But honestly, positioning on the saddle is a complex thing. Do you feel the uncomfortable back on the sit bones, on your inner thighs, in your... bits, so to speak? Often the more forward it is, the more likely it is that you are too far forward in your positioning.

Information is key here, but it does sound like a positioning issue, not a particular saddle issue.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my first saddle was hurting my bits badly and that was just seriously not cool at all so that was why it just had to go. this newer one seems to rub a little on the inner thigh but I can pretty much remain comfy as long as I switch positions around alot which is what leads me to think that in the long term it will be a good fit once I get used to it. It doesn't hurt my bits at all so that's a vast improvement. I used to have a comfy saddle on my MTB but it broke so I have a rather uncomfortable one on it now but I don't really care that about it since I am out of the saddle so much on that bike. The guy at the bike shop said some of it might be a core weakness issue too since I tend to slouch a little on the saddle instead of my core holding me up so I am working on that also.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
There should be little weight on your hands, if there is, there is going to be problems. How much weight do you have on your hands? If so, maybe you need to have the seat realigned, possibly a shorter stem.

Your hands should also be straight with the wrist and the elbow with no bends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.