Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well then, I fixed my chainsaw! I wish I had checked this FIRST! Tore the carburetor apart and rebuilt it, then tore it apart 2 more times, took the manifold and impulse lines off looking for an air leak. We spent at least 6 hours trying to figure out what was going on. This morning I checked the breather/vent on the gas tank, I knew that I was on to something when I heard the vacuum released when I took the cap off. ARGHHHHHH, it can not get gas if air can't get in! The gas tank held a good strong vacuum since Wednesday!! I repaired the vent line and just ran 3 tanks of gas through it. She never missed a beat. I saved 400 bucks on a saw that I never would have been happy with because a suitable replacement for this saw is really about 700 bucks! I am happy.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, but the bobcat needs a new muffler and that will be about 225......but that would have happened anyway.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two episodes of Dr. Who and I am totally sensory overloaded.... HAPPY NEW YEARS to all you moreons! May 2017 be the best year ever!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Happy NewYear! My Husqy saw goes through gas lines almost one a year. PITA! My Husqvarna leaf blower also. They both have auto chokes, I can't stand... Finicky as hell. Just put a new sheer pin on my Honda snow blower. $2.00. Easy. I'm jealous of that Bobcat man!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Happy New year, moreons. Be careful of those chain saws, you might shoot your . . . . . . . . . . .

Oh heck, that's the other toy.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happy NewYear! My Husqy saw goes through gas lines almost one a year. PITA! My Husqvarna leaf blower also. They both have auto chokes, I can't stand... Finicky as hell. Just put a new sheer pin on my Honda snow blower. $2.00. Easy. I'm jealous of that Bobcat man!
replace fuel lines that often?...I am willing to bet that you use ethanol fuel....BIG NO NO.....it actually voids Stihl's warranty.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
You could be like me and own a "disposable" chainsaw. My made-somewhere-in-Asia 16" 2-stroke Hitachi cost about $150. The sucker cuts well and probably due soon for a new chain - the sole replacement part in my book.

Only about twenty hours in, but if the motor craps out or it starts acting finicky, I'll donate it to the local repair shop and just buy a new one. The damn thing gave me a case of tennis elbow (on my off arm) a couple months ago. Can't seem to shake the dumb thing.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You're a tougher guy than I, TOG. When my old Sthil was stolen in 2009, I replaced it with a smaller model, seeing as how I ain't gettin' any younger. Only $300, and it's been a joy to use. However, I don't have to put up near as much firewood as you do.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could be like me and own a "disposable" chainsaw. My made-somewhere-in-Asia 16" 2-stroke Hitachi cost about $150. The sucker cuts well and probably due soon for a new chain - the sole replacement part in my book.

Only about twenty hours in, but if the motor craps out or it starts acting finicky, I'll donate it to the local repair shop and just buy a new one. The damn thing gave me a case of tennis elbow (on my off arm) a couple months ago. Can't seem to shake the dumb thing.
I would be throwing 150 bucks at a new saw every 2 years! I knocked down, butchered split and stacked a cord and a half in about 5 hours. Yesterday and today.

You're a tougher guy than I, TOG. When my old Sthil was stolen in 2009, I replaced it with a smaller model, seeing as how I ain't gettin' any younger. Only $300, and it's been a joy to use. However, I don't have to put up near as much firewood as you do.
My oldest, I have been using since 1982, the newest is an 85 028 av super, I paid 150 for it 5 years ago. Both compare to the new, professional models.

I burn 6 to 8 cords a year.

Using my straight 028 WB would have taken me 1/3 longer to cut it all. Besides, anyone who cuts wood, knows why you need 2 good saws.... I had to use the second one twice today to rescue the first!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My oldest, I have been using since 1982, the newest is an 85 028 av super, I paid 150 for it 5 years ago. Both compare to the new, professional models.

I burn 6 to 8 cords a year.

Using my straight 028 WB would have taken me 1/3 longer to cut it all. Besides, anyone who cuts wood, knows why you need 2 good saws.... I had to use the second one twice today to rescue the first!
My old saw was the 036 AV. It was a workhorse, and I loved using that saw. The new one isn't pro grade, more homeowner grade, Farm Boss, I think. 18" bar, and thinner than the old chains, but cuts almost as fast. I use my fireplace to supplement the heat pump during freezing and near-freezing weather, so only about one cord a year here.

Cutting, splitting, and burning firewood is very satisfying. Stacking and hauling it, not so much.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

My old saw was the 036 AV. It was a workhorse, and I loved using that saw. The new one isn't pro grade, more homeowner grade, Farm Boss, I think. 18" bar, and thinner than the old chains, but cuts almost as fast. I use my fireplace to supplement the heat pump during freezing and near-freezing weather, so only about one cord a year here.

Cutting, splitting, and burning firewood is very satisfying. Stacking and hauling it, not so much.
036 was a great saw, btw, the farm boss is considered farm and ranch, a grade above homeowners, I was looking at the farm boss, ms 271 but it is all plastic. Echo has a 5x better warranty than Stihl does now,

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Happy new year to me!
I was wondering why you would be so happy to have your chainsaw fixed. It means you don't have any excuse to not get the work done.

But at least you have a bobcat to move all that. We do it with a small lawn tractor trailer which means we have to LIFT it up into the trailer.

Happy New Year. Maybe this year the fairies will come and split all that wood for you.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Hubby has a Husqvarna chainsaw and has never had a problem with it and it has been put to the test.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
...Just put a new sheer pin on my Honda snow blower. $2.00. Easy. I'm jealous of that Bobcat man!
One of the jobs that I did not get done before the cold weather hit... What I've noticed is that no one else does them for me, so it is still awaiting a suitable non-drizzly day...

Congrats, T0G on the chainsaw--I have less luck (maybe less patience) with small motor'd things. And I think you would find that the replacement would be less well built than your original. IME.

Happy New Year to you PBL, T0G and the rest of the moreons that still check in!)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was wondering why you would be so happy to have your chainsaw fixed. It means you don't have any excuse to not get the work done.

But at least you have a bobcat to move all that. We do it with a small lawn tractor trailer which means we have to LIFT it up into the trailer.

Happy New Year. Maybe this year the fairies will come and split all that wood for you.
loading the bucket and lofting it on to the splitter is all "manual" the rounds (in the picture, red elm) with about 75 to 150 pounds each, I carried them all to the bucket and split them (I weigh less that some of the logs)

Hubby has a Husqvarna chainsaw and has never had a problem with it and it has been put to the test.
my original stihl 028 has been in the shop once since 1982 and the new 028 super has never missed a beat until this. I burn 6 to 7 cords of wood per year, (for over 34 years now.) I have cut and split a LOT of wood.

btw, I responded to this this afternoon but the response disappeared...hmmmmmmm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts