Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For your viewing pleasure. I wonder who the guy is in the red jacket in all the photos. He seems to be looking at the train coming as Hoste, Van Petegem and Gusev go through, then he holds up the Boonen group.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
well he looks to be of African Descent

and is wearing a motorcycle helmet which IMHO means he's the guy who has been holding the Time Gap chalk board for years. There's been articles about him. So that would make him a race official.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
atpjunkie said:
and is wearing a motorcycle helmet which IMHO means he's the guy who has been holding the Time Gap chalk board for years. There's been articles about him. So that would make him a race official.
I'm not sure the chalk guy is an official. If he's not, then him waving the group through/or not trying to stop a group would have no impact on the UCI's decision, it is the job of the riders to know the rules. If he is an official and made no attempt to stop group #1, that would add some justification to their argument they shouldn't have been DQed.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Doesn't mean...

rocco said:
When I watched the race I clearly saw a person dressed in red that was directing traffic at the crossing.
I don't think because he was directing traffic, that it means he was an official, but possibly, as someone else said, the time gap person. Normally, UCI commissaires drive around in the official cars of the race, because they need to do a lot of different things during the race, and don't normally ride on the backs of motos. I could be wrong, but I think that this is the case. The guy in the picture might be working for the race, but I don't think he's an official. Just my opinion.

Anyway, as I've stated on other threads about this matter. Whoever was held up at the gate, or not, didn't affect the outcome of the race.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
how can you say that?

when 2-3-4 were DQ'd? and 4-5-6 wound up 2-3-4.now callme wacky but that kinda sounds like a 'different outcome'. didn't effect the winner but placings get ya UCI points which will help Turbo Tom stay at the top. push Hoste down the standings, hurt P-V-P,help Ballan and Flecha.....

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Let me re-state...

atpjunkie said:
when 2-3-4 were DQ'd? and 4-5-6 wound up 2-3-4.now callme wacky but that kinda sounds like a 'different outcome'. didn't effect the winner but placings get ya UCI points which will help Turbo Tom stay at the top. push Hoste down the standings, hurt P-V-P,help Ballan and Flecha.....
What I meant to say, but didn't, is that, if the standings had been "as is" the stopping and going of the guys at the gate wouldn't have made a difference. I think 2, 3, and 4 would have all stayed as they were if they had stopped, or if they hadn't been stopped. I don't think they should have DSQ'd those guys, is what I really meant.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
would not have changed the winner

but given that the following 3 ran the gate and didn't get DQ'd

Davitamon Lotto and Discovery have a very valid argument for reversal.

if the crime is ignoring the gate using the 'the train already went by' doesn't cut it.

I think they will lodge a formal complaint

Boonen says he got 5th. That's why I like him.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
magnolialover said:
What I meant to say, but didn't, is that, if the standings had been "as is" the stopping and going of the guys at the gate wouldn't have made a difference. I think 2, 3, and 4 would have all stayed as they were if they had stopped, or if they hadn't been stopped. I don't think they should have DSQ'd those guys, is what I really meant.
If Hoste, PvP, and Gusev had stopped at the gate, Boonen, Flecha, and Ballan would have caught up to them before the train passed and all six would have started together when the gate lifted, so there would most likely have been six people sprinting for the other 2 podium steps.

Not obvious that the placings for 2-7 would have been the same in such a sprint.

Remember that they only preserve time gaps if the LEADER is caught by the gate:
If one or more leading riders make it over the crossing before the gates shut and the remainder of the riders are held up, no action shall be taken and the closed level crossing shall be considered a passing incident.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
i'm not sure who supplied the neutral support for the race, but if it was mavic it's quite possible that they also supplied the chalk board guys as they do in the tour and other races they attend, and then they always wear 'mavic yellow'.

and even if the guy in red is an official, there's a big difference between a race official, and a UCI official... if he was directing traffic, etc then it's more likely that he was a race organisation official, who are the ones that usually direct the traffic and the race, etc. and are not there to uphold the rules.
the UCI officials are usually more like observers rather than actively taking any part in the proceedings, and are only there to make sure everyone sticks to the rules, and to apply them or not, as they see fit.

foz

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Red is race

and the tour officials on motorcycles are in red. Neutral support is yellow and Mavic does this for P-R. Now he may be different than a UCI official but tell that to someone who is bleeding out the eyeballs trying to chase the winning break. He';s official and he said 'go through' for a guy in the heat of battle, that is good enough. again he signaled stop and the next 3 stopped then he waved them through. again it is just an inconsistent ruling if it is a light and gate violation they all 6 broke the rule.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funny...

Funny how no one is saying how stupid it was for Hoste - Gusev - PVP to cross as a train was coming!!!! I call that bad judgment. Period. The rule was put in place to avoid racers being allowed to make bad decisions like that one. IMHO the rule works and some decided to break it. The rule is there to keep bike racing as save as possible and only tree racers acted in an unsafe manner in that situation… and they are now disqualified.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
did you watch the race?

there were people (including a race official watching and waving them through) they stopped and looked and when they saw they had time,went. heck there was plenty of time, even the motorcycle got through and the train was another 30 seconds (about the time group 2 got there).

So it wasn't as stupid as you say. They didn't rush blindly across the tracks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Did you see that train come through, that's a dangerous situation. A train could have come from the opposite direction too. None of those guys should have been let through while the gates were down. All of them should have received the same punishment whatever that might be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.