Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of doing a training program called P90X to lose more weight and get more total body strength/ripped/definition. Has anyone combined a program like P90X with a 150-200mile a week cycling regimen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I did the weight work-outs and replaced some of the cardio in the program (ken-po, yoga, etc) with long rides. The toughest part is balancing eating enough to complete the work-outs without over doing it and canceling out any weight loss benifits. Prepare to be sore the first few days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
Joemero said:
I'm thinking of doing a training program called P90X to lose more weight and get more total body strength/ripped/definition. Has anyone combined a program like P90X with a 150-200mile a week cycling regimen?
Yes. I am a P90X Fanatic. My Brother in Law is a P90X Coach. He trained me. You can check his website out at www.teambeachbody.com/askgeorge It's the best overall fitness program that I have ever used. It helped me shed 40lbs and I have kept it off for 2 years now. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
master2129 said:
Yes. I am a P90X Fanatic. My Brother in Law is a P90X Coach. He trained me. You can check his website out at www.teambeachbody.com/askgeorge It's the best overall fitness program that I have ever used. It helped me shed 40lbs and I have kept it off for 2 years now. :thumbsup:
How has it helped/complemented your cycling? I'm worried that doing both P90X and training on the bike at the same time might be a little overwhelming. Or, perhaps I can substitute the aerobic workouts with miles on the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
I've done 2 rounds of P90X. I have lost a total of 35 pounds and I am in really great shape compared to where I was before. I did no cycling the 1st round, however, cycling was one of my overall goals. I replaced all cardio with cycling for the 2nd round. If you do it, make time for the yoga workout. It will make a huge difference in the overall workout program, as well as your cycling.

You'l have to figure out if it will work with your cycling load. You can always pick and choose the dvd's to customize your workout. For example, you can do the upper body and core workouts and leave the leg workouts out of the mix. Then, in the off season, do the whole program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
The overall gain in lean muscle in particular in my core and back have helped to stabilize me when I ride. Also the workout are so hard that you are out of breath each set which was very unexpected since I considered myself in super aerobic shape. The routine is very difficult when training on the bike. But I somehow decided to commit to the program. For me the greatest benefit of the program was reteaching myself how to eat and recover correctly. Tony Horton is crazy about it. He pounds it into your head every session. All I know is that 5 of my friends all tried it after they saw how ripped I got and how much faster I was riding. Out of the 5 only 1 was able to get to the 90 days. It's not for the weak or faint of heart. That I can guarantee you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
master2129 said:
The overall gain in lean muscle in particular in my core and back have helped to stabilize me when I ride. Also the workout are so hard that you are out of breath each set which was very unexpected since I considered myself in super aerobic shape. The routine is very difficult when training on the bike. But I somehow decided to commit to the program. For me the greatest benefit of the program was reteaching myself how to eat and recover correctly. Tony Horton is crazy about it. He pounds it into your head every session. All I know is that 5 of my friends all tried it after they saw how ripped I got and how much faster I was riding. Out of the 5 only 1 was able to get to the 90 days. It's not for the weak or faint of heart. That I can guarantee you.
Thanks, for your response! I'm going to buy it next week and give it my best. How many miles a week were you averaging while on the program?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,270 Posts
Joemero said:
How has it helped/complemented your cycling? I'm worried that doing both P90X and training on the bike at the same time might be a little overwhelming. Or, perhaps I can substitute the aerobic workouts with miles on the bike.
Do you want to be fast, or do you want to look like a Men's Fitness cover model?

If you want to lose fat in order to be fast, then doing it via P90X at the expense of cycling is counterproductive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Crossfit's Workout of the Day (WOTD) are crazy.

I've done a few of the P90X videos and they are really tough. Even the yoga is a real challenge. The guy I know who has done the 90 days twice, is crazy ripped now. Its a good structure for building overall fitness.

I'd consider what rt1965 said about doing the cycling as the aerobic portion. Consider doing some structured interval workouts to really "Bring It!".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,167 Posts
bas said:
The Z92Z will be better. I'll see you in 2 years.
yeah...but by time you get your dvd...I'll be the most ripped 56 y/o guy with a bad back and a blown out knee you ever saw... and you have to get the Q91 Y first to upgrade or you'll lose all you rippedness
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
I think for the "average joe" a program like P90X or Crossfit would be VERY beneficial. Who can't benefit from getting stronger and leaner?

On the other hand, if you're an elite cyclist, like a cat 1 who wants to be a pro, no, I don't think these would complement cycling except maybe as an off-season strength building phase when you're not riding much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,167 Posts
I enjoy the Richard Simmons series "Party off the pounds", Totally Tonin!" and of course,"Sweatin' to the oldies".
All my friends have commented on how ripped I am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
the mayor said:
yeah...but by time you get your dvd...I'll be the most ripped 56 y/o guy with a bad back and a blown out knee you ever saw... and you have to get the Q91 Y first to upgrade or you'll lose all you rippedness
I've got 20 years to catch up to your 56 yr oldness! :D

:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
goneskiian said:
I think for the "average joe" a program like P90X or Crossfit would be VERY beneficial. Who can't benefit from getting stronger and leaner?

On the other hand, if you're an elite cyclist, like a cat 1 who wants to be a pro, no, I don't think these would complement cycling except maybe as an off-season strength building phase when you're not riding much.
and that would be no one here on rbr.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top