Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished building a set of wheels with the Kinlin 279 rims and used a CK Classic with 24 holes for the front and a Dura Ace 7850 with 28 holes on the rear with CXray spokes/brass nipples laced 2X all around. Really enjoying the feel of the wider rims, but now I'd like to build a set using the Pacenti SL23 for another bike.

The Kinlin 279s are on a bike that I take on longer trips so I built them a little heavier than the wheels I ride everyday. By comparison, I have two sets built on WI hubs with Kinlin 300s that are 18/24 and 20/24, respectively and a set of Kinlin 270s that are 20/24. Again all with CXray spokes. My two sets of 300s are over 6 years old, each with 1,000s of miles on them, no broken spokes and as true as the day they were first built. No problems with the 270s either. Even though my weight fluctuates between 178-185, I'm very easy on wheels and, at 61 years old, don't generate nearly the power that I used to, and sprint is something I only watch other people do on group rides.

I don't know that much about Pacenti rims, but given my experience with the Kinlins I have and that the Pacenti seems to fall between a 300 and 270 in configuration, I'm thinking that 20/24 or 24/24 would work for me. I'll probably use a BHS wide front hub and a DA 7850 rear that I already have as hubs, with CXray spokes/brass nipples.

Any thoughts from those of you who have built wheels using both the Pacenti SL23 and the Kinlin 270/300 rims as to how the Pacentis stack up against the Kinlins in terms of relative stiffness of the rims and the 20/24 build I'd like to do?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you liked the wider ride of the 279 I'd got with the SL23. Despite its name it actually measures 24mm and fits right into the range of the new wide rims which will be falling between 23mm (like the 279) and 25mm. This trend is true with all aspects of the SL23 and I'd describe it as a great all purpose rim without focusing on any one element at the cost of others.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron: Appreciate the reply.....I hoped you would comment since you built 3 of my Kinlin 300s so you know me pretty well.

BTW, both of my "Steve" riding buddies are really liking the wheels you built for them, especially the Steve with the 279s. He and I will be riding our 279 wheels in CO for 8 days in August including doing the Copper Triangle ride. Looking forward to it. Anytime someone in our group mentions custom wheels, we all recommend you.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I just finished building a set of wheels with the Kinlin 279 rims and used a CK Classic with 24 holes for the front and a Dura Ace 7850 with 28 holes on the rear with CXray spokes/brass nipples laced 2X all around. Really enjoying the feel of the wider rims, but now I'd like to build a set using the Pacenti SL23 for another bike.
Kinlin 300 FTW!! I love it... :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.