Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SO I didn't know if I should put this in Pac NW, Commuting, or here.

Today was Chilly Hilly in the Pacific NW. It's the season opener for the Cascade Bike Club. Most people start on the Seattle side of the sound and take a ferry to Bainbridge Island for 33 mile loop with rolling hills. It can be crazy cold and wet some years, but this year was a little wet and just a little chilly. Great riding weather.

I met Rcnute on the ferry on way over, and we connected with BigBill upon arrival.

Mr. Nute brought his climbing bike -- a Long Haul Trucker with a basket, bags and racks. If we saw a chainsaw or something at a garage sale, we were all set. Also, when RC is behind you, you really don't need to point out little bumps in the pavement. He's got some tires that have that covered.

BigBill was nice enough to bring the Record equipped commuter complete with coffee and donuts for all.

They were giving away Showers Pass Elite jackets on board, so we were all in uniform. (Kidding) RCNute packed his away.

All in all a fun ride. Bill promises to "poast" a few pictures. OEH, we were going to call you at the end to tell you what a great time we had, but then I lost the gang at the chili feed.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Looks like more fun than sitting on the sofa with a headcold (which is what I did all day). Looks like a decent turnout. No Argentius sightings?

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
I missed a great time. :(

I'm not in great riding shape though, as I haven't put enough time in on the trainer this winter. Although, lots of running and snowboarding so I might've been OK.

Really sorry to have missed it.

How did you divvy up all the doughnuts? I would hope you'd have had a little KOM points competition...winner gets two doughnuts. :)

Y'all up for the hillclimb this side of the hill this August? I suppose I should put the word out to see if any interest, as we were talking about an overnighter up at the lookout. If we have 'nuff peeps that can commit, I'll request time off for planning. Last year I didn't have enough time off work beforehand and I was beat! Good thing not too many came.

I'm really glad you all didn't get rained on!

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
BenWA said:
Looks like more fun than sitting on the sofa with a headcold (which is what I did all day). Looks like a decent turnout. No Argentius sightings?

Sorry 'bout the cold. Chicken soup and 7-Up going your way.

And you only see Arg at the bottom of a hillclimb, and then only briefly.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Argent; he said something about moving this weekend. OEH, I'd sure like to do that climb in August, but again it's too soon for me to commit. Last years ride came up in conversation.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OldEndicottHiway said:
And you only see Arg at the bottom of a hillclimb, and then only briefly.
Not always. Sometimes he rides back down to make sure you are OK and then goes up again. In jeans. ;-)

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
I missed a great time. :(

I'm not in great riding shape though, as I haven't put enough time in on the trainer this winter. Although, lots of running and snowboarding so I might've been OK.

Really sorry to have missed it.

How did you divvy up all the doughnuts? I would hope you'd have had a little KOM points competition...winner gets two doughnuts. :)

Y'all up for the hillclimb this side of the hill this August? I suppose I should put the word out to see if any interest, as we were talking about an overnighter up at the lookout. If we have 'nuff peeps that can commit, I'll request time off for planning. Last year I didn't have enough time off work beforehand and I was beat! Good thing not too many came.

I'm really glad you all didn't get rained on!

We made the donut stop before the steepest climb. I carried the coffee and donuts for around 20 miles and let the guys "carry" them after that. My bike was around two pounds lighter before the bad climb. I didn't get any of my coffee, by the time I gave everyone a cup it was gone. I did get a donut.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
bigbill said:
We made the donut stop before the steepest climb. I carried the coffee and donuts for around 20 miles and let the guys "carry" them after that. My bike was around two pounds lighter before the bad climb. I didn't get any of my coffee, by the time I gave everyone a cup it was gone. I did get a donut.

Fianlly somebody told me about the doughnuts. What kind? Chocolate iced? Plain cake? (my fave). Mmmmm. Doughnuts.

Sorry about the coffee, but I'm sure the boys appreciated it. :)

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
Fianlly somebody told me about the doughnuts. What kind? Chocolate iced? Plain cake? (my fave). Mmmmm. Doughnuts.

Sorry about the coffee, but I'm sure the boys appreciated it. :)
Buttermilk cake with about 1/2" of glazing. If you left them sit out on the counter they would never go stale. They were warm when I bought them at 7:45.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
this year I found out one of my cousins, who we hadn't spoken to since 1981, lives on Bainbridge Island. After he made contact with The Dad, I emailed him to thank him for contacting us. I joking asked if he ever saw Ed Viesters out there. Turns out of his kids is in class with one of Viesters' kids.

Family quarrels can really mess things up...

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
JP said:
Not always. Sometimes he rides back down to make sure you are OK and then goes up again. In jeans. ;-)
With a pushing hand to donate a couple hundred watts to the needy.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
BenWA said:
Thanx, just had me a nice bowl of homemade chicken soup. Good idea. :)
Throw a little Tapatio sauce in there. It's my favorite cold and sniffles food.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Riding with bigbill and JP: Awesome, as always.

Meeting some new folks: Awesome.

bigbill treating us to coffee and doughnuts: Awesome.

The barista at the coffee shop on Bainbridge at the end of the ride. Awesome. Dear God, awesome.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.