Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's what's for dinner...

mmmmmmmmmmm smells GREAT.....the BAD news is...I am OUT OF SAFFRON now.....sigh....that stuff is ungodly expensive.

Just a basic batch....shrimp, bay scallops, mussels, no sausage or ham...no water, just GOOD, homemade chicken broth...

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Needs more cabbage.

joe

·
Boobies!
8,160 Posts
Yer doing it wrong--chicken stock means I can't eat it, & I love paella! Nom nom. I still have some cheap saffron around too--I think it is just yellow-dyed vegetable matter.

(Our dinners looked almost as purty--marinated grilled tuna steak with Sicilian sauce--pretty much like a puttanesca...)

·
Master debator.
8,753 Posts
Dang I just ate and that pic is still makin' me hungry!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks yummy. is saffron still the worlds most expensive spice?
considering the good stuff is over 300 bucks an ounce......yup..... fwiw, I have never had the GOOD stuff...LOL
Even the cheap stuff is 6 bucks a gram....

pare. sorry I didn't know.....I'd have used fish stock.....

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Needs sausage and lobstah!

·
Proud luddite
7,176 Posts
Looks good but paella without saffron is like pizza without cheese.....just ain't the same.

Strangely, I found a pan of paella at Costco of all places. It wasn't too bad, considering it was made at Costco. Kind of freaked me out, I must say.

·
I want a Road Bike :)
4,111 Posts
considering the good stuff is over 300 bucks an ounce......yup..... fwiw, I have never had the GOOD stuff...LOL
Even the cheap stuff is 6 bucks a gram....

pare. sorry I didn't know.....I'd have used fish stock.....

ToG, are you sure you not buying "colombian marching powder" by *mistake* ?!?

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I would OM NOM NOM that with a quickness!

I like Turmeric in place of saffron, in a pinch.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no no no you misunderstood....I used the LAST of my saffron in it....I am out NOW

·
gazing from the shadows
27,166 Posts
Looks very tasty, but the question with paella is always, "How did the crust on the bottom turn out?"

The answer the few times I have made it has been "not well", since I have never been able to get the thing to cook just right.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
the key is a hot open fire of olive wood......

the bottom 'crust" this time....fail....it was still mucho tasty

·
Proud luddite
7,176 Posts
no no no you misunderstood....I used the LAST of my saffron in it....I am out NOW
Oops....my bad. Still needs more yellow in it though....needs more saffron! :p

Funny story: a while back my parents traveled to Spain and my mom stopped at a shop in hopes of finding some saffron to take back to the U.S. She got her spanish mixed up a bit and ended up asking the owner if she could buy a kilo of saffron. She said he about had a heart attack! :D

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,253 Posts
Needs to be cooked down some more. And is that rice white? Shouldn't the saffron have yellowed it? Are you lying to us, ToG?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes it could have use more saffron but I used what I had...and that picture was when I JUST started cooking it. Nope I don't lie, I ain't smart enough to lie...I'd never be able to keep the story straight

1 - 20 of 26 Posts