Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've convinced myself that I want to buy a Honda Element (mostly for the rubber floors and the amazing amount of cargo space). I can fit both my road bike and cross bike in the back and want to mount some fork mounts in the back. Honda does have the interior mount attachment but they charge over $200 for the part (with installation). It looks like a $20 fork mount that's just bolted in the rear floor. Is there any difference between the factory one (I"ve spoken to three different Honda service depts. and none of them seemed to have ever even installed these).

Would just a "normal" fork mount work ok with the rubber (and seemingly "thin") floor?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Bolt the mounts to a board instead--and don't hose it out

I don't have an Element, but there's one next door. The owner (an ultradistance rider) looked at the floor and all the stuff that's under there and decided to bolt his fork mounts to a 2x6 instead. He can lift it in and out, and it holds the bikes securely (what happens if it hits something doesn't bear contemplating).
Also, if you haven't read this somewhere, you CAN'T hose that interior out. A lot of people have bought Elements figuring they could just squirt that rubber interior clean, something Honda sort of promoted in its early ads. Apparently there's a control module for something under there (I forget what, but I read about it in one of the car magazines), and the water will run into it and ruin it. Honda's not covering it under warranty, and I think the repair cost was about $600. Not sure of the details, though, so Google around to see what you find.

·
pass the hot sauce
196 Posts
I don't bother with a fork mount at all. I always keep the rear seat behind the driver folded up and to the side. Then I just toss my bike in rear wheel first, slip a short bungy cord around the seat post and attach it to the rear seat ceiling handle. This works for all my bikes (sizes 58-60).

·
Registered
804 Posts
as mquetel mentioned, it's easier to just not take the wheels off and use a bungee or tie-down strap with a seat folded down

if you're in a hurry just drop both rear seats and lay the bike down, it's simple as that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
bike mount for "E"

I'm using a Saris traps (?), that I had from before I bought the Element. I hold it in position with cargo straps. If I were starting from scratch, I'd just use fork mounts screwed to a board. May still try it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On the road bike I bungee the bike to the cargo handle. With the hybrid, I use a standard fork mount attached to a 1 x 6.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got a 2004 Element with the interior fork attachment. My dealer put it in, and I've been very happy with it. They attach it to the removeable floor over the spare tire compartment. My dealer went so far as to drill two sets of holes for it, as my mountain bike fit differently than my road bike. He threw in a couple rubber plugs for the holes not in use.

It did rattle a bit after installation, and the noise originated under the removeable floor. The bolts of the fork holder were bouncing off the metal hub of the spare tire. The dealer fixed that up with some soundproofing tape stuff, and its been perfect since.

Best bike carrying machine, bar none. Love this car. :D

·
Fat guy in little coat.
80 Posts
I bought a 2005 Element just for transporting my bike, and I agree that no mount in needed. I just use bungee cords with the mounted hooks on the side of the walls. I love this car and highly recommend it. I haven't seen anything that compares!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
its the same

MJCBH said:
I think I've convinced myself that I want to buy a Honda Element (mostly for the rubber floors and the amazing amount of cargo space). I can fit both my road bike and cross bike in the back and want to mount some fork mounts in the back. Honda does have the interior mount attachment but they charge over $200 for the part (with installation). It looks like a $20 fork mount that's just bolted in the rear floor. Is there any difference between the factory one (I"ve spoken to three different Honda service depts. and none of them seemed to have ever even installed these).

Would just a "normal" fork mount work ok with the rubber (and seemingly "thin") floor?

Thanks for any advice!
exactly the same thing as a 20 dollar mount.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all............

Thanks for all the replies posted.........That's what I was wondering was whether or not the Honda fork mount was "different" in any way when compared to a standard fork mount. Sounds like there is no need for any special attachment or anything to secure it to the thin, plastic flooring over the spare tire. I wanted to throw two mounts in the back, but hey, sounds like bungee cords may work also!

BTW - do any of you know of any clear coating, etc. that could be put over the plastic clamshell door so it doesn't get so scratched up? That plastic seems to scratch very easily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
inside mount

I usually go with the bungee option, but I made a removable mount for around $20. Buy two mounts from Performance and mount them to a piece of lumber.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How to secure 2x4?

So what's the best way to secure the 2x4 in the rear? Is it a good idea to wrap something "soft" around the corners so they don't scratch the edges and just cut the board so it fit's "snugly" against the walls of the car?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just get a piece of plywood, cut it 4ft x 18". Paint it matt black. Get some mounts from Performance. A couple of Yakima wheel mounts and your are set. A stable platform that can easily be removed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Honda mounts are standard quick releases

I ordered the Honda mounts when I bought my Element last year. When they arrived I realized that they were standard QRs. I sent them back and for a while just used two QRs screwed to a 2x4. Now, I don't use anything - I just leave the wheels on, roll the bike in backwards and hook the end of the bar underneath the bunge cord net thing that is attached to the back of the left rear seat. This works for road or 'cross bike. When I have two bikes, I have to bunge the seat post of the second bike to the right rear seat. Best car for hauling bikes.

I haven't found anything to protect the tailgate. I've just learned to live with the scratches knowing that the replacement part is pretty cheap (under $100).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts