Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinds of horses did you ride?..I grew up on a horse farm, and I miss them a lot....

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
I went thru phases

I was riding before I could walk. First my uncle's polo ponies in DC. Then Quarter Horses as a small kid growing up in Ohio. Sometime around age 11 I got bored going in circles and branched out to hunter jumpers. First good one was a TB cross off the track, and a total nutcase. By the time I was seventeen I had a QH I rode to hounds, a Polish Warmblood show jumper and a TB cross-country horse. Plus all the nitwits I got paid to ride, up to and including FEI 3-star events (essentially a Division 2 pro in cycling terms). I was looking for an Olympic ride when one of the nitwits fell on me and ended my career. Sold my dressage saddle for my first decent bike and haven't looked back. I've ridden everything from ponies to Arabs to Pasos to a Fresian at a ren-fest.

Had I the funds and the land to keep one, I'd probably either get a Morgan or a Fresian to mess around with. I would never go back to showing though, it's too much stress.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where?

lonefrontranger said:
I was riding before I could walk. First my uncle's polo ponies in DC. Then Quarter Horses as a small kid growing up in Ohio. Sometime around age 11 I got bored going in circles and branched out to hunter jumpers. First good one was a TB cross off the track, and a total nutcase. By the time I was seventeen I had a QH I rode to hounds, a Polish Warmblood show jumper and a TB cross-country horse. Plus all the nitwits I got paid to ride, up to and including FEI 3-star events (essentially a Division 2 pro in cycling terms). I was looking for an Olympic ride when one of the nitwits fell on me and ended my career. Sold my dressage saddle for my first decent bike and haven't looked back. I've ridden everything from ponies to Arabs to Pasos to a Fresian at a ren-fest.

Had I the funds and the land to keep one, I'd probably either get a Morgan or a Fresian to mess around with. I would never go back to showing though, it's too much stress.

In Ohio, that's where I'm from. My parents have a farm near Seville. We're mostly trail riders. I had a Morgan growing up, and my parents have had arabians, throroughbreds, and QH's. Now they are into the gaited horses....My mom has a Paso Fino, and my stepdad has a Missouri Foxtrotter. We also have a paint, and appaloosa, and the newest addition, a Percheron, who is just gorgeous. Those are just are horses, we board about 25 more there. It's a lot of work. The farm's previous owners had a rather famous arabian there, and it was a well known arabian farm throughout the midwest 40-50 years ago.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
What name on the famous arabian? My sister used to have over 20, and some of the knowledge rubbed off on me.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't

dr hoo said:
What name on the famous arabian? My sister used to have over 20, and some of the knowledge rubbed off on me.

remember, it was an arab name, el.....????, the farm was Bryson Arabians.....now known as Trail Gait Farm. I'll call home tomorrow and find out for you though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts