Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife is getting her diamond ring re-banded / resized, and the local guy also says the prongs holding the diamond need to be replaced / rebuilt because they are worn.

She is worried that the guy is going to swap out her diamond for a fake. The place has been at the same retail location for at least 15 years.. I told her not to worry. Am I right?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Is the diamond etched? If so, no worries at all. If not, make sure you trust the guy 100%. Regardless, I would ask to see it under a scope before and after and check flourescense before and after to make sure it's your stone. Tell the guy this and if he has a problem with it walk away.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Creaky,

I think that diamonds cut in the last X years all have laser etchings to identify them. But TOG would know better. I'm not sure how long ago they started doing it and if all diamond cutters do it, or just certain ones.

·
Dimples
351 Posts
Use the magnifying glass and note any perfections within the diamond. Draw them out on a piece of paper and be sure to mark if they're white, black, etc. Check out the stone again when you get the ring back.

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
Just have them remove the stone and give it to you while they do the reconstruction. Keep it safe, bring it back when they're ready to replace the setting.

/I don't really know what's involved, so this may not be practical.

//Quit being a cheapskate and buy her a new ring..

Plum

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Pry the diamond out yourself, go buy a nice piece of plastic to replace it. Keep the real one in the sock drawer...:D

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
swapping stones is incredibly rare, particularly with an established retailer. Frankly, if a customer does not trust me I refuse to do the work, in every case. Trust goes both ways.

For the most part, all GIA cert. diamonds sold in the last FEW years are laser inscribed with a serial number. SO...they are still the exception rather than the rule.

If they are re-tipping the stone rather than replacing the heads, they are most likely doing it without removing the stones at all. If they are re-setting them, at some point they are going to need the stones....

edit: What is MY recourse when a customer insists that I switched stones? The person that suspects for a moment that I am dishonest is the one most likely to accuse me after the work is done. Should i ONLY work on laser engraved stones?

Like I say, trust is a 2 way street.

·
half-fast
7,377 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
swapping stones is incredibly rare, particularly with an established retailer. Frankly, if a customer does not trust me I refuse to do the work, in every case. Trust goes both ways.... trust is a 2 way street.
I am glad to see this.

I don't do the same kind of work as you, but am entrusted with things like housekeys and alarm codes and treasured possessions.

If I get the heebie jeebies from somebody, I prolly ain't gonna take his money. Somebody else can have him for a problem.

I don't want your stuff, and that jeweler don't either.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
speedyg55 said:
Use the magnifying glass and note any perfections within the diamond. Draw them out on a piece of paper and be sure to mark if they're white, black, etc. Check out the stone again when you get the ring back.
what if your stone has no imperfections?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Just check your serial number on the stone if it has one, against your GIA certificate.
Make sure the jeweler and you agree on the serial.

then check with him after you get the ring back and the serials number matches.

then a gain jeweler like that can and should be trusted.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
What I have been told to do is have a jeweler take a magnified photo of the stone detailing the inclusions. Then afterwards take another. Your connect the dots picture should match.

Pretty much all diamonds have imperfections. It is the magnification required to see them that matters.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
and yet so many people would take their car to a shop and have the brakes worked on, then get into the car and barrel-ass down the road at 80 mph in traffic, taking the shops word for the fact that they work...as a jeweler, let me assure you, most of us REALLY don't want YOUR diamonds....

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
10ae1203 said:
I am glad to see this.

I don't do the same kind of work as you, but am entrusted with things like housekeys and alarm codes and treasured possessions.

If I get the heebie jeebies from somebody, I prolly ain't gonna take his money. Somebody else can have him for a problem.

I don't want your stuff, and that jeweler don't either.
and there you have it......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts