Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skied the Knob with my girls yesterday. No fog but windy and cold with intermittant snow showers. Ice galore. Just as I remember it. They even have a "bowl" which was fun but would've been more so had it been covered better and less ice. All in all, a decent day on the slopes. Beat Roundtop, fo sho.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
skiing with the "girls" is going to be the cat;s a$$ no matter where you ski.....I haven't skied Blue Knob since 1976. I learned to ski at Laurel (near Ligonier) when I was 3, taught by my dad who threatened to shish-ka-bob me with a pole a few times) (think leather laace up boots) Then Seven Springs opened up.....I remember one lodge and a rope and a single chair.... I moved to CO in 1977 or '78 and PA skiing was NEVER going to be the same as skiing "avalanche runs". I skied ONCE in WI...what a joke....
I have no doubt I could still keep the skis together and do well..... but $ are not going to allow that to happen...all in all....I'd rather be riding

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We only go maybe 1/2 doz times a winter; fewer this yr. They enjoy it and so do I. I wouldn't know how to ski powder if I ever saw it...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Skiing PA requires one thing...SHARP EDGES!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Knob's motto; "Ski good or eat wood". (Although, really, most of their slopes aren't that tough....)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
The tough runs are when the bottom of the run is behind you......with the chest deep powder and the very tips of the 20 foot spruce trees slap you when you ski over them.......

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Hey yunz two

I went up to Holiday Valley in Ellicottville, NY this past weekend. I took a group of HS kids to Peek and Peak, Clymer NY Friday night, dropped them off about 10:30. dropped the bus off and headed out for Ellicottville about 12midnight. Got there about 2:30am. We rented a condo for the weekend at $38 a night per guy, I got floor space on my air mattress and sleepbag.

They have about 14 lifts, 2 lodges that I can think of, lots of trails and a good amount of snow. I really think I need to buy my own equipment to really start enjoying things and go more often mid week when I have time. I learned to ski at IUP, at the University farm. Spring term we would schedule classes so that we would be done by 12 and out on the slope by 1. It was a bunny slope with a rope tow. Lessons were free from a retired Prof. Rental equipment was $1.50. We worked alot on technique at very slow speed. This weekend I was very rusty and my skis felt like they were doing whatever they wanted. Put it this way I just did not feel very artistic or completely in control of my boards. I suppose it would be like renting a bike everytime I wanted to go riding, and how long would I like to do that? Apples to Apples equipment wise, cycling is more expensive I think. Where it gets expensive is lift tickets and gas to travel.

The group I went with were all youngsters, so they were all out in the bars getting drunk and trying to pick up women. I was too damn tired to go out either night. I'm getting old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts