1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Ikea ...we need one here. I heart Ikea. Great dorm furniture.

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
I do not know if the news item is true (considering the date) but Surströmming is a real food. I have never tried it. Not sure I would. Well, I am not a Swede either.

Swedes are not the only ones who cherish foods that a stranger would find a bit strange. Let me think of a few, that I cannot easily get locally.... haggis (from Scotland), frogs' legs, roasted locusts, shark left in the sand for I do not know how long, sheep's brain. Our local mämmi and mustamakkara are known to cause discomfort by their looks although the taste is more conventional. Of course, if all you ever eat is hamburgers and cola, a lot of things will seem strange.

A Norwegian once told me that they have something a bit like surströmming (I think they use a bigger fish). He and his father love it but his mother does not allow it inside the house because of the smell.

quote from the linked site:
"The leader of the Swedish Surstromming Academy, an organisation promoting the dish nationally and internationally, said any airline worried about explosives and foul smells should first ban bottles of champagne and French cheese before attacking the pride of the Swedish cuisine."

I know a few nationalities that seem to think they are the only ones with worthwhile culture and food (this time I am referring to European nationalities).

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
perttime said:
I know a few nationalities that seem to think they are the only ones with worthwhile culture and food (this time I am referring to European nationalities).
Are you implying the Italians, who didn't want the EU's food bureaucracy moved to Finnland "because they don't know anything about good food"? Proper Limburgse kaas smells like smelly feet squared but tastes pretty good too you know. ;)

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
rogger said:
Are you implying the Italians, who didn't want the EU's food bureaucracy moved to Finnland "because they don't know anything about good food"? Proper Limburgse kaas smells like smelly feet squared but tastes pretty good too you know. ;)
:D You said it, not me. Also, I was thinking of more than one nationality. In some areas people have so much confidence that I read it all as arrogance.

I do not think I have tried Limburgse kaas but Danish gammelost did not evoke a lot of confidence in me at first sight. I liked the taste, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts