Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a saddle that suited me in a more comfortable manner than the OE one my bike came with. I adjusted the height and had at it. Over about 150 miles in a week and developed some decent pain in my right leg, behind the knee at about the top of the calf. Originally I thought it was soreness and expected as I adjusted to riding longer and stronger.

I searched a good number of threads about this. I did not feel it was the height of my seat but then figured maybe 1 leg was a little shorter than the other and it was getting aggravated and overextended. I barely moved the height because the stoke feels great; but I read the seat too far back can cause this issue. Moved the seat forward and bingo. Two 28 mile rides over last two mornings and zero pain or irritation.

This was my first BAMN!! In your face experience with just how a subtle change can make a big difference on a road bike. Kinda scary that a few centimeter change here or there can mean a happy ride or a painful experience.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I found a saddle that suited me in a more comfortable manner than the OE one my bike came with. I adjusted the height and had at it. Over about 150 miles in a week and developed some decent pain in my right leg, behind the knee at about the top of the calf. Originally I thought it was soreness and expected as I adjusted to riding longer and stronger.

I searched a good number of threads about this. I did not feel it was the height of my seat but then figured maybe 1 leg was a little shorter than the other and it was getting aggravated and overextended. I barely moved the height because the stoke feels great; but I read the seat too far back can cause this issue. Moved the seat forward and bingo. Two 28 mile rides over last two mornings and zero pain or irritation.

This was my first BAMN!! In your face experience with just how a subtle change can make a big difference on a road bike. Kinda scary that a few centimeter change here or there can mean a happy ride or a painful experience.
The new saddle may have you sitting further back than the saddle that it replaced, so you may have had your height adjusted right, you needed to set the saddle forward to get your leg extension the same as you had with the old saddle.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Kinda scary that a few centimeter change here or there can mean a happy ride or a painful experience.
I really hope you meant "a few mm" rather than a few cm. 2.54 cm per inch, don't you know.

At any rate, Bernard Hinault attributes his need for knee surgery to having his saddle height off by 3 mm.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did mean mm not cm. Hey, km, mile so close right? Just kidding.

The new saddle did have me further back. Changed the angle of my stroke.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I really hope you meant "a few mm" rather than a few cm. 2.54 cm per inch, don't you know.

At any rate, Bernard Hinault attributes his need for knee surgery to having his saddle height off by 3 mm.
Every once in a while I'll hop on my bike without bike shorts. The difference there can't be much or any more than 3mm, I think, compared to wearing a chamois like the other 99.9% but I can definitely feel a big difference. It feels like my seatpost is down like an inch and I 'feel' a different knee angle at the bottom for sure.

No point here other than to say I definitely believe Hinault could be right.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
I find that hyper extending the knee antagonizes the tendon behind the knee, ymmv.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts