Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first post. I know fit is everything, and I know paying a shop to fit me would be best, but geographical location prohibits that.
After about five miles I start to develop neck pain. Where shoud I start looking? Stem size/ rise, or bar width? I need some help. thanks in advance.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Before spending $$, try this.

Go down the road with the sun exactly at your back and look at your shadow. Consciously drop and relax your shoulders. If your shoulder shadow outline changed significantly, you've been riding with tight, hunched up shoulders - one of the most common causes of neck pain.

· Off the back.
102 Posts
I have only been on a road bike for about 2.5 weeks, coming from a mountain bike. I found that the first week my neck was really sore, but it has gotten much better since. I found I was riding very tense at first, and have now learned to relax a bit more.

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Stretch and roll

SenorBlanco said:
I have only been on a road bike for about 2.5 weeks, coming from a mountain bike. I found that the first week my neck was really sore, but it has gotten much better since. I found I was riding very tense at first, and have now learned to relax a bit more.
There are some good on-bike stretches that you can do. Try to touch your ear to your shoulder, scrunch your shoulders up, try to reach your elbow to your spine in back, reach back with each arm as though you were handing a water bottle to a person behind you but not turning your upper body, and finally roll your head around in a big 360 degree circle. Doing these will both help relieve the pain and build the strength that will eventuall eliminate the pain.

· Banned
1,013 Posts
kayakguy said:
Ok, first post. I know fit is everything, and I know paying a shop to fit me would be best, but geographical location prohibits that.
After about five miles I start to develop neck pain. Where shoud I start looking? Stem size/ rise, or bar width? I need some help. thanks in advance.
I had the same problem my first week riding. I was being a wannabee riding in the drops too much. Now I spend most of my time on the hoods just above the brakes.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the advice from everyone. I will try to relax more. However I have been riding (road) pretty regularly for about 4 months, I would hope that tension issues would have been resolved by now. As for being in the drops, I am too lazy for that, only on really steep descent or when I may need to stop, and the occassional sprint.

· Registered
216 Posts
What is the distance between the top of your saddle and the top of your bars?

A lot of stems have a slight angle to them. You could check and see if you can't just flip your stem to angle up.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright,
I changed to a shorter stem with some rise and tried to relax more. I rode 20 miles today with no neck pain! It is nice when something works out. Now I just need to change out my saddle and see about wider bars. Thanks All, for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.