Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
mad11:11one
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went for my first long ride of the year this weekend....... :) :)

For some reason every now and then the long rides really do a number on my neck and shoulders..... (spine compression maybe)

Anyone else experience this? And how are you treating / preventing ?:frown5:

Anyone go to a chiropractor regularly for bike related pain?
Just the idea of someone twisting-cracking my neck!?!?

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I've got arthritus and it gives me some neck pain.
The Dr. told me to ride with flat bars so I use Ibuprofen when it gets intolerable.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
How many miles do you have since Jan 1st??????

Most people that have neck and back pain haven't ridden enough to build up their girly neck and back muscles.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Most people close their chest, round their shoulders. Most often this is done to try to help support their body weight, or compensate for handlebars that are too small. This position makes it difficult for your body to hold your head up, hence the pain.

While you are riding try to push your shoulder blades together. This will help recruit other muscles to hold up your head.

While you are off the bike focus on carrying good posture. This will help you get in the habit for your time on the bike.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
the first few weeks of every season I have neck pain. Eventually you get it less and less as you get a stronger neck.

To speed the process up get a stability ball. Lay on your back and extend your upper body as far off the ball as possible with feet on the ground. Slowly tip you head back and up while fighting the gravity. Do a few reps and relax. Build up slowly.. (Stiff necks such right?). This helps strengthen your neck a lot! Plus if you are off the ball enough it tightens your abs and back up as well.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
I had been having neck pain for a while, especially on longer rides, and just thought it was from riding a lot. I started going to see a chiro and turns out my cervical vertebrae were straight instead of curved forward. I went back to him several times for adjustments, and now I go in once a month for "preventive maintenance" and haven't had any pain at all lately- even on 100+ mile rides.

Edit: I want to add that you should go for a bike fit first if you haven't done so already. My chiro even asked if I'd been fit before he started any treatment, though I imagine that's probably not going to happen in most cases.

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
I was always told that in cycling shoulder and neck pain was from having to reach too far to the handle bars, ie top tube is too long. I had this problem on my first century, I shortened the stem and no problems since.

"Prolonged hyperextension of the neck and associated muscle strain may lead to trigger points in the muscles of the neck and upper back. "

http://www.roadcycling.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/6/1026

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
180 said:
I was always told that in cycling shoulder and neck pain was from having to reach too far to the handle bars

too long/low is a common cause, and might not appear until rides get longer

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
How many miles do you have since Jan 1st??????

Most people that have neck and back pain haven't ridden enough to build up their girly neck and back muscles.
I agree with this. I, too, had experienced neck pain on my first ride after not riding for about a month. Same bike as I've ridden in the past with no neck pain issues so the only thing it could be is the strain from not having to support my head with a helmet on in a riding position.

·
On a different mission...
624 Posts
I agree, build up your neck and back muscles using a "beach ball." It's definitely not easy holding up a head that essentially weighs as much as a bowling ball...for five hours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts