Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my right leg, too hard to describe it's location, but in this pic:

https://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/ezine_images/lower_leg_muscle_group.jpg

if you look at the left-most leg drawing, go up to the back of the knee, and then go right, that band of white (tendon)?

It hurts when standing up to pedel, and also walking up stairs when the leg has to step up & that tendon is tensed.

this is the first time I've been riding w/ toe-clips, or any type of strap/cliped pedal, maybe it's from pulling the pedal up and my leg's not use to that motion? But it only hurts on one leg?:idea:

· Registered
647 Posts
Me personaly having gone through this, i would quit riding and go see the doc, then go see an ortho. You have an IT band or bicep femorious tendon inflamation.

when my happend back in dec i rode on it, and couldnt walk up stairs for a week
than i rode even harder after taken a week off and it hurt to walk. I spent the next 4 months in rehab or reinjuring it.

I have been able to race in april, but its still tender.

so i wouldnt ride for a while and see a doc, ice and advil will help

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh man... The weird thing is it happened in only two 1-hour long rides. The pain is around the point where the tendon attaches to the leg (past the knee).

What a bummer, just got the new bike too!

Thanks for the help!

· Registered
15 Posts
Likely ITB syndrome

This is probably from a mild case of Iliotibial Band Syndrome- The iliotibial band is a thick layer of fascia on the outside of the thigh that runs all the way from the crest of the hip to the top of the tibia (lower leg bone)- it also has muscle in it. It is probably being caused by the alignment of your foot on the clipless pedals (poss cleat position?) or from the fact that your mechanics are different on the new bike. For now- I'd STRETCH, ice it and take it easy- you should probably get your fit on the bike checked out by somebody who does it professionally before it gets worse. If that doesn't work, get to your family doc and have them take a look- they can get you into physical therapy or to a sports medicine doc if necessary.

-dont let it get worse though, the previous poster was right- if you dont pay attention to it sooner, itll be a lot later until you feel normal.

-ttyl

· cog-it-goes ergo sum
120 Posts
I went for my first ITB-free ride today. I had ITB syndrome after going out waaaay too hard in early April. The key is to stretch, stretch, stretch while NOT riding for a bit (or severely tapering your workouts). I rode flats only and never rode for more than 45 minutes (which is when the pain would begin to crop up). Now, if you're feeling pain from the get-go, don't ride at all if you can help it.

Keep in mind, I rarely felt pain while walking or going up/down stairs, which gives you an idea of how careful I was and, yet, how long it took me to recover. I did receive a cortisone injection at the locus of pain, which I believe helped a lot.

Here's a website with some info.

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/02_00/fredericson.htm

Do a search on these forums for "ITB", and you'll get a ton of info. One thing I did learn from rehabbing from this is that hot baths really help if taken before stretching-- I'd take a hot bath for 30 min before I did my bedtime stretching routine. Never felt better when waking up.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it's ITB after seeing/reading about it. I should of been more descriptive about the area of pain... It's not in the side of the knee as it would be in ITB, it's where the circle is in this pic:

· Registered
9 Posts
I have the exact same problem. So far I've raised the seat a little and taken it easy on riding. Taking rest days as well. I'm feeling much better after about two weeks of this type of routine. Also am trying to stay in lower gears and thus not stress the tendon too much.

· Could be faster
282 Posts
i used to occasionally get that problem. some anti-inflammatory like Voltaren/Cataflam (don't know what the equivalent is in US) normally does the job.

after some research and testing, i narrowed down the cause to pedalling with my knees and toes pointing inward (heel outward). never had that problem since re-learning how to pedal with with my knees, toe, heel and leg pointing forward parallel to the bike.

boon

· Registered
12 Posts
does it feel as if the pain is right where the little bone of the lower leg

joins the larger bone, or that mass of tendon and bone area.. described another way, the very top of the small lower leg bone? that is where I get it. had the problem on and off for years. Running can really set it off.

I went to physical therapy, and they said it was IT band issue. had me stretch the IT muscle in buttocks area, down the band on side of leg. did not help much.

had a new PT, he did ultrasound (?) on calf and ankle area. huge relief! And the best relief for me yet, has been the discover of a balance ball thingy. looks like 1/2 a ball, that a person stands on and balances. I stand on one leg. the effort to keep my balance strengthens and stretches that area I believe. or whatever happens, it is the best relief for me. I get all agitated just not using this thing for a few days.

other good stretches: the calf,
IT band stretch. stand up, grab an ankle and bring that leg across other knee. balance on one leg, then try to squat as low as possible and keep balance. this is some yoga move, and it is about the best one to stretch the IT. Another, stand up straight and cross legs, keeping legs straight, try to touch the floor with your hands while keeping legs crossed.

I'd avoid an orthopedic surgeon, they just will want to cut. :)

good luck.

· Registered
357 Posts
Good suggestions on stretching and strengthing, but realize that the likely underlying cause is a bad bike set up. In my case my ITB problems (I realize your issue isn't ITB) were due to loose spd pedals. A larger platform kept my knees in much better alignment, and pain went away.

Either you seat is too high or low, or your cleats aren't aligned right, or your shoes are too flexy... If you don't correct this, all the excercise in the world won't fix it.

· j-dawg
268 Posts
I'm suffering now too

Hi there,

I'm in the throes of ITBS right now as well. And I hate to tell you but my pain is also centered in the area you are showing in the pic. That is where the IT band attaches (according to my doc) to the lower leg (tibia?). Anyways, the reason it hurts there is because you are pulling the tissue over that little bony knob everytime you bend your knee a certain way. So far I've tried PT, Celebrex, ice, rest, etc. As a matter of fact I need to call my OS doc right now and schedule a follow up to tell him it's not any better.

The only other options that I know of are complete immobilization of the knee (i.e. brace), a cortisone shot or two, or surgery. None of those are too appealing to me. I'm trying the foam roller, stretch, ice, rest routine right now but have been off the bike for almost 2 solid months and not much improvement. Sorry for the rant but I'm partly trying to vent and partly trying to emphasize that you should not ride at all in the beginning stages of ITBS. I ignored the pain for a couple of weeks and tried once to come back already. I probably just did more damage.

It's ironic that you posted this because I was just about to post a thread asking if there are any long-term ITBS sufferers with success stories. I need some encouragement at this point.

REST, REST, REST. Good luck with it.

j

· Registered
12 Posts
reply to J-dawg

I believe my story is a success story. my pain started about 16 years ago. first showed up on long portages in bwca wilderness area. then showed up when I ran. during this time i mt biked with straps.... nothing hard core.

my first pt said I'd never be a runner. that summer I got 1st place in a local triathlon :)
have had reccurances since. I'm telling you, the balance ball is where it is at. using the ball, I can run at length (which is how I measure my success with this issue, as it always flairs up running first).

Original succeess: I stopped biking and running for a week or two. lots of stretches as i described earlier. ultra sound the calf/ankle was key. since then the balance ball is key maintaince.

good luck.

· j-dawg
268 Posts
Thanks

Thanks CJ (can I call you that?) :)

I know it will get better eventually but I've pretty much abandoned my scheduled events for this summer. Just looking for the light at the end of the tunnel no matter how dim.

Thanks again,

j

· Registered
647 Posts
What helped me was to quit riding, i then went to pt 20 times in 6 weeks, my swelling was really bad while in pt i also road an hr a day, in my 39x21 thats all i would use. Or i would ride the recumbant in the gym. After 2 months i was feeling good, the problem with my healing was every 3 weeks i felt 100% i would go ride and re aggravate it again.

I feel like this is the key to getting it to heal, along with no float pedals. I do have soreness now but thats after going super hard intervals 2 days in a row. My ortho said it should take 2 years for it to be all the way gone.

Stretch
ice 4 times a day for 20 min a time
stretch

· Registered
15 Posts
Reply to j-dawg

You mentioned complete immobilization for this- In general, complete immobilization for any sort of chronic or overuse injury is TERRIBLE ADVICE- just don't do it- Think of it this way- your muscles are responsible for keeping everything aligned so that parts of your body work optimally- if you immobilize ANY joint you get muscle atrophy and therefore the ability of the muscles to serve as shock absorbers and protect your body is lessened.

I still think that this is ITB- Icing, stretching, taking it easy- getting to a good primary care or sports doc and poss PT are the best things (What somebody said about orthopedic surgeons can be very true- they would rather cut than take a conservative route).

· j-dawg
268 Posts
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice. In defense of my OS doc, he has not recommended that. It's just what I've read in various forums (that's what I get for believing anything I read on the web :) . He actually isn't real big on cortisone or surgery either. I'm pretty much opposed to surgery. This would have to linger for much longer (like years) before I considered that. It appears to be getting a bit better but slowly. And like most outdoor-minded people, it's hard to be patient when the weather is good.

I've been down on PT because it didn't do much good the first time around but in looking back I don't think we gave it enough of a chance. Slow and steady from here on out.

thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.