Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, new to the forum :D I recently found a tiny paint chip in my carbon fork, exposing a bit of grey material I assume is carbon. How should I fix it? Clear nail polish? Is it anything to be worried about? I've attached some pictures for you to see. Take note the chip is magnified so it looks big, it's super tiny when seen with your eyes.

Also, are paint chips from metal dropouts normal? Is mine serious? Thanks a lot guys :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Paint chips are fairly normal. Fork legs and down tube seem to be where most of mine have ended up over time.

I think they always look more pronounced on white paint because there are usually more/thicker layers necessary to make something white. Nail polish will work. Or just leave them. That really is a miniscule little spot in the second photo, so I wouldn't give it a second thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot pedalbiker, just the reassurance I needed! Also I was wondering, as I'm rather new to carbon road bikes, does riding on gravel often lower their lifespan in any way?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,451 Posts
Good grief no. Stuff like this usually happens within the first 1K miles. No big deal.

If it really bothers you, apply some White-Out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good grief no. Stuff like this usually happens within the first 1K miles. No big deal.

If it really bothers you, apply some White-Out.
thats a really great idea,can't believe I didn't think of that. How do you apply it so that it blends in with the frame? When I applied clear nail polish, it ended up looking like a blob:rolleyes:

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,451 Posts
thats a really great idea,can't believe I didn't think of that. How do you apply it so that it blends in with the frame? When I applied clear nail polish, it ended up looking like a blob:rolleyes:

Thin brush strokes, my friend.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
well it's an art. like said, you have to be patience and use thin stroke, let it dry, then reapply another thin layer. Keep doing this until you build up a smooth layer. But I have never been able to get a smooth final layer that matches the original clear coat, not even close.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had the same issue with my girlfriend's brand new white Ruby. We load our bikes side-by-side (front wheel removed) on a rack inside my Xterra. 3-4 times while putting the foot pump in between them I tapped her fork. Chips. Cosmetically terrible, and she wasn't happy. Did touch up with cheap white nail polish. Better, but not good as new. I wasn't careful or patient enough in my work.

I now put the pump in a cloth sack that came with Zipp carbon handle bars I got.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
apply some White-Out.
I would think that White-Out durability would be pathetic. Nail polish or automotive touch-up paint is the standard fix. Fine sand the layers to get a smooth transition and then top it off with a clear layer if you want the best cosmetic result.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would think that White-Out durability would be pathetic. Nail polish or automotive touch-up paint is the standard fix. Fine sand the layers to get a smooth transition and then top it off with a clear layer if you want the best cosmetic result.
Sinful Colors brand is available at most drugstores like Walgreens, they have a lot of weird colors that match up with bike paint

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there a standardised chart where you can find out the exact Colour of your bike so that you can pick he right Colours? Thanks for the many responses guys, really appreciate it! Helps a newbie like me :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.