Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need information/advice/recommendations.

My house is made of stone and 5/4 dolly varden redwood siding. The siding is in need of food/drink. There are hundreds of commercially available products that are the "best ever" but I am confused about the products and claims. I want a colorless ( no pigment ) product that will feed the wood and help preserve it. UV protection is not required. Before I installed it, I liberally treated all sides and ends with Olympic oil based wood treatment, 25 years later, it's time again. What are the pro's and con's of using plain old boiled linseed oil following a thorough cleaning?

Attachments

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
I started in on our cypress siding last year, but it had been stained once, then the POs pressure washed the crap out of it, and really damaged the soft fibers. Plus there were remnants of the old stain still on it. All of which is to say, I decided to go with a semi-solid stain because anything else looked pretty bad. And I ended up using Cabot, more out of brand loyalty and trade discounts than any inside knowledge.

So I'm not sure what to say about a 'natural' conditioner, but would recommend the Cabot Problem Solver cleaner--it has bleach and other stuff, and is not cheap but worked really well to get me ready for stain. Spray it on with a pump bottle, and then rinse with the garden house (or pressure washer at non-pressure setting).

I would think that the problem with just linseed oil is that it doesn't really dry down, whereas something like tung oil does. So I think the commercial products contain a mix and a solvent for that reason. And I think the benefit of a commercial product is that you also get the mildewcide.

Wolman, Flood and Cabot all make an oil-based clear and non-film product. (I have heard good things about 'Australian Oil' which is a Cabot product, but it gets mixed reviews.) I know the Flood CWF-UV5 Oil is a pretty heavy product, so not easy to get on, but pros seem to like it.

I'd be tempted to hit your local pro paint store and see what they have and maybe do a test of one or more.

BTW, that is a great siding job and a testament to proper prep and stain before install!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started in on our cypress siding last year, but it had been stained once, then the POs pressure washed the crap out of it, and really damaged the soft fibers. Plus there were remnants of the old stain still on it. All of which is to say, I decided to go with a semi-solid stain because anything else looked pretty bad. And I ended up using Cabot, more out of brand loyalty and trade discounts than any inside knowledge.

So I'm not sure what to say about a 'natural' conditioner, but would recommend the Cabot Problem Solver cleaner--it has bleach and other stuff, and is not cheap but worked really well to get me ready for stain. Spray it on with a pump bottle, and then rinse with the garden house (or pressure washer at non-pressure setting).

I would think that the problem with just linseed oil is that it doesn't really dry down, whereas something like tung oil does. So I think the commercial products contain a mix and a solvent for that reason. And I think the benefit of a commercial product is that you also get the mildewcide.

Wolman, Flood and Cabot all make an oil-based clear and non-film product. (I have heard good things about 'Australian Oil' which is a Cabot product, but it gets mixed reviews.) I know the Flood CWF-UV5 Oil is a pretty heavy product, so not easy to get on, but pros seem to like it.

I'd be tempted to hit your local pro paint store and see what they have and maybe do a test of one or more.

BTW, that is a great siding job and a testament to proper prep and stain before install!
Thanks, I was hoping you would pop in here. My research is showing that boiled linseeds performance can be exceeded by almost anything. Cabot. may well be my choice. I am trying to find Olympic locally. The Sherwin Williams is pretty good too but really pricey, not that it is prohibitive

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping you would pop in here. My research is showing that boiled linseeds performance can be exceeded by almost anything. Cabot. may well be my choice. I am trying to find Olympic locally. The Sherwin Williams is pretty good too but really pricey, not that it is prohibitive
Sherwin Williams retail is pricey. Do you have any friends that work for commercial painters? I work for a general contractor and often go in and say "this will be on painter XYZ's account, but I will pay cash". That way I get the good discount. (Painter XYZ gave me permission)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it has indeed, I had no gray at all when we started building it. now, I have almost no hair... lol

we built it entirely, every stick, every stone, my wife's design in a spiral notebook. 18 inch thick fully load bearing stone walls and foundation.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
The last natural wood job I did was a few years ago, but we used Sikkens products. I think they still make an alkyd high-solid stain. I know that's not what you are looking for...

I think I recall that the problem with clear finishes is the UV degrades the film.

No finishes are forever, though, and you knew that already. Your service life of 25 years is probably testament to the care you took with the original coating.

S-W makes a good product, and so does Ben Moore, but both are pricey. So is the Sikkens. The advice to seek a contractor discount is good. Set up your own account and I think you could obtain a 20 to 25% discount for cash.

Boiled linseed oil in that quantity would probably not be available here because of VOC restrictions. ymmv.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
The last natural wood job I did was a few years ago, but we used Sikkens products. I think they still make an alkyd high-solid stain. I know that's not what you are looking for...

I think I recall that the problem with clear finishes is the UV degrades the film.

No finishes are forever, though, and you knew that already. Your service life of 25 years is probably testament to the care you took with the original coating.

S-W makes a good product, and so does Ben Moore, but both are pricey. So is the Sikkens. The advice to seek a contractor discount is good. Set up your own account and I think you could obtain a 20 to 25% discount for cash.

Boiled linseed oil in that quantity would probably not be available here because of VOC restrictions. ymmv.
I forgot about Sikkens--doesn't Home Despot carry them? Not sure if they have an oil transparent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts