Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at possibly getting a ti frame for my next bike build-up. So, I'm liking the Lynskey Cooper CMT which I would build up pretty much as a city bike (I'm leaning that way at this point)

One option when ordering Lynskey frames is to have them painted. This never occured to me although to be honest, I don't think I would spring for the extra $600 - $800 to do so.

Is there anything to consider about with paint on Ti material (such as being more prone to chipping, etc) ? Sorry if this is dumb question but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I am looking at possibly getting a ti frame for my next bike build-up. So, I'm liking the Lynskey Cooper CMT which I would build up pretty much as a city bike (I'm leaning that way at this point)

One option when ordering Lynskey frames is to have them painted. This never occured to me although to be honest, I don't think I would spring for the extra $600 - $800 to do so.

Is there anything to consider about with paint on Ti material (such as being more prone to chipping, etc) ? Sorry if this is dumb question but I'd like to hear your thoughts.
It's a matter of personal taste.

I personally think bare Ti is ugly.....others love the way it looks. For me, doing a TT/HT/2/3rs of DT & ST painted and leaving the BB and CS and ST bare is a really nice way to add some aestetics to the frame. But like all paint, it will be subject to wear.
It's all about what you like and what you can afford.
Len

·
wots...uh the deal?
1,349 Posts
I like color, therefore, I like paint. But there is something to be said about no paint chips or scratches. Bare ti does have advantages, even if I don't like it. ( I did pay extra for paint on the front 1/3. leaving the rear end bare, it's a very good compromise to me) On a "city bike", I'd be temped to skip the paint and then wrap the bike in electric tape (or anything to hide it's value and deter thieves...but then that is one reason I don't do "city")

Very much personal taste.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
My '95 Merckx AX still looks like new and is probably my most complimented bike - all nude matte Ti.

Plus paint adds weight. And will chip.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Personal choice but for me the attraction of Ti in the first place (and I have two) is the lack of need for paint. You couldn't give me painted Ti for free.

Edit - of course I would take a free frame with paint on it; who wouldn't; but I much prefer unpainted Ti - one of the reasons, IMO, for going with Ti in the first place. I like the industrial, down-to-business, look.

·
mrwirey
195 Posts
Unpainted Ti does not have to be ugly...Fork and seat topper painted by Lynskey's painter (cost $250):
View attachment 280348

Painted Ti can be fetching...Frame and fork painted by Lynskey's painter (cost $750):
View attachment 280349

Painted steel in front of unpainted Ti...Frame and fork painted by Lynskey's painter (cost $750):
View attachment 280350

Your options are limitless...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a custom ti on order. I love the look of bead blasted ti. Unfortunately the blasted finish shows blems very easily and those are not easily fixed. On the other hand, brushed ti finish looks pretty damn good and blems in that finish can be fixed with a little back and forth with the correct scotch brite pad. I also like the look of some semi painted ti but ultimately believe the essence of ti for a bike is in the properties that it won't rust and does not need paint. Examples of nice simple semi painted ti. Personally, I would never order ti and cover it all with paint. Then who would be able to envy your ti bike :).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bare metal for me

I have a titanium road bike and a titanium mountain bike, both with brushed finish. I personally think paint on a Ti frame is rather pointless. The cost of paint on a Lynskey frame is only a little less than I paid for my entire Habanero Ti road frame. So for both aesthetic and financial reasons, paint on a Ti frame makes little sense to me.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I have a custom ti on order. I love the look of bead blasted ti. Unfortunately the blasted finish shows blems very easily and those are not easily fixed. On the other hand, brushed ti finish looks pretty damn good and blems in that finish can be fixed with a little back and forth with the correct scotch brite pad.
That's one of the reasons I ordered my most recent Ti frame - a Kish. He uses maroon 3-M Scotchbrite. It's almost impossible to tell the difference from a blasted finish (I thought it was blasted when it arrived until he corrected me) and it can be touched up, or totally re-finished, at home.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I have a couple of Lynskey's, as well as a new Breakaway in the pipeline (should ship this week) all are bare Ti (easy to maintain). That doesn't mean I don' t appreciate the painting that Lynskey does, from what I've seen it is top of the line. I could go for one of their cobalt blue frames, they also have some amazing custom paint jobs.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
That's one of the reasons I ordered my most recent Ti frame - a Kish. He uses maroon 3-M Scotchbrite. It's almost impossible to tell the difference from a blasted finish (I thought it was blasted when it arrived until he corrected me) and it can be touched up, or totally re-finished, at home.
If I recall correctly, the secret to Jim's finish is that he blasts them first, then brushes them. I may have that wrong, though.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
If I recall correctly, the secret to Jim's finish is that he blasts them first, then brushes them. I may have that wrong, though.
Not that I'm aware of but that could be - to get a uniform finish with which to start the fine brushed finish. He just didn't tell me he blasts them first. I know he gets some blasting done where polished letters show through the finish but he doesn't (or didn't) do that himself.

·
mrwirey
195 Posts
...to each his/her own.
- I couldn't agree more! Looking like everyone else is, well, kinda, dare I say...unimaginative. I find I enjoy my bikes more when I make each one unique. I appreciate unfinished Ti as much as the next person. I have a 'brushed' Litespeed Xicon, a brushed Motobecane Ti Fly 29er, and a brushed Lynskey Sportive in addition to my painted and blasted Ti bikes. Personally I do not want all of my Ti bikes to look identical...where is the fun in that? For me at least, biking – building and riding – is all about aesthetic and kinetic fun. Seize the Ti!
Very respectfully, Tim

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Wow, you guys have some great bikes! Thanks for sharing and for your comments.
any significance to the number in your username? I only ask because 1948 was such a good year :)
Any way you forced me into posting my Merckx yet again:

View attachment 280368

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.