Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a Dean el diente coming from ebay with the natural dull finish. not sure whether i should paint it or not. what does anyone else think?:confused:

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Of course you should. People who don't paint titanium frames have NO sense of taste. And I don't want to hear the old excuses about wanting a maintenance free finish-most of these bare titanium frame owners secretly spend time polishing, using Scotch Brite pads, or removing fingerprints in order to keep that maintenance free finish, maintenance free.

Give the bike some artistic appeal! And don't forget the fork, too!

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
You really have two decisions:
1. Paint it or not.
2. What color(s) to paint it.

So you need to get both right.

Attached is a picture of a fellow forum member who went down this same road awhile back. I think he ended up selling it on Ebay recently. I'll let you decide if he was right on both questions.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx mootsie

i can hear ya.
1. it is a big call and would not want to ruin the original finish of the frame
2. one color would have been ample.
mmmmmmm thanx

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Peter P. said:
Of course you should. People who don't paint titanium frames have NO sense of taste.
Minimalism is a challenging aesthetic. Not many have a strong enough sense of taste to appreciate the natural beauty of things.

On the other hand, people who do paint titanium frames have no sense of, well, sense.

Paint exists on bicycles for one purpose - to protect the frame from the elements. For most frames, it serves a secondary purpose for the builder - to hide substandard work. That it can be pigmented and made somewhat attractive is only a pathetic attempt to put lipstick on a pig.

Titanium frames have no need for protection, and the exacting nature of working with the material means there's nothing to hide. All paint does is add weight.

Some polished or brushed finish Ti riders do choose to spend time caring for their bikes, but that should be done no matter the finish. It only takes a few minutes, and is a perfect opportunity to keep an eye on things. For those that choose not to, the bike will soon enough gather a patina that makes fingerprints invisible.

And that maintenance free finish really is, relative to paint. Ti frames leaned against poles or scuffed by locks are 'repaired' by rubbing a thumb across the spot and apologizing for the abuse. Painted bikes are repaired by taking a few weeks off the road to be stripped, sent off to the painters, and being rebuilt, at the cost of a couple hundred dollars.

The one 'drawback' to a bare frame is that it leaves most with relatively fragile waterslide decals for identification, unprotected by a clear coat. That could be spot-fixed if desired, or better yet, the decals can be done away with in favor of engraved or anodized logos. Perhaps better still, it can be left to the head badge to identify the bike, rather than paying good money to be a rolling billboard.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
danl1 said:
The one 'drawback' to a bare frame is that it leaves most with relatively fragile waterslide decals for identification, unprotected by a clear coat. That could be spot-fixed if desired, or better yet, the decals can be done away with in favor of engraved or anodized logos. Perhaps better still, it can be left to the head badge to identify the bike, rather than paying good money to be a rolling billboard.

that's not true... a naked ti frame does not leave you stuck with old-skool waterslide decals, not even sure they ever used them. most have a vinyl or whatever sticker, that is much more durable than those old things.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
danl1 said:
Paint exists on bicycles for one purpose - to protect the frame from the elements.
I would have to respectfully disagree with this comment. I view my bike as more than a tool. An Italian-born piece of sculpture inspires me. Plus red bikes are faster, everybody knows that.:D

brewster

·
Registered
33 Posts
brewster said:
Plus red bikes are faster, everybody knows that.:D

brewster
No, white bikes are fastest.

I had my Seven finished in the black / white race scheme and I think it looks ace.

The lack of paint around the BB and stays means it avoids most of the normal paint chipping and reminds me (and others) that it's made from Ti.

It also means that it survives being thrown in the back of cars and being crashed with a little more grace than completely painted frames.

The black and white just makes it look really pretty.

(It also looks better than the one in the picture with white bar tape, a red headset and no down tube decals)

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I'd like to do something like that with my Merlin. One problem is what to do with the head tube, which has a the head badge engraved into the frame.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow

that orange baum is hot. i think i'd need to be strapped onto that just to hang on. fast man.:thumbsup:

·
Number10
480 Posts
tidi said:
i have a Dean el diente coming from ebay with the natural dull finish. not sure whether i should paint it or not. what does anyone else think?:confused:
I'm going thru that dilemma now. I have a Ti frame being built soon and not sure whether to paint it. I previously owned an unpainted Ti bike and I loved the naked Ti finish but I think maybe now some color would be nice for something different. Leaning towards black but it could be either one of green, orange or yellow.

BTW I owned a Dean El Diente. You'll love it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I love all those paint jobs. Unless you are racing I certainly would not worry about an extra ounce or two of weight. For sure leave some parts unpainted. It seems like leaving the rear triangle and bottom bracket area unpainted makes sense since those are the dirtiest part of the bike. Please post photos when it's done.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Paint jobs with the stays left bare do look good. Painting the whole thing seems silly to me. I still love my Litespeed because it was so easy to take off those stickers and have a beautiful bare ti frame. Really shows off the shaped tubing, and looks just great IMO.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
danl1 said:
Paint exists on bicycles for one purpose - to protect the frame from the elements.
Huh? Take a look at a Landshark. A beautiful paint job is art. Are you by any chance color blind?

·
Registered
102 Posts
i have a bare seven ti - i like it's simplicity, but there are some sweet painted ti rigs out there - the moots and orang baum, being 2 cool examples...the indy fab site also has some sweet paint in the gallery,,,,good luck

·
Registered
296 Posts
tidi said:
Do it man!

By the way that orange paint job is just awesome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Partial Paint? I like it!

here's another couple of painted ti's for inspiration...
Haydos - I'm really digging both pics. You've given me a good idea. Please excuse the noob question, but are the stickers on top or under the clear coat? And is this paint or powder coating? I am likely buying a family member's old naked Seven Ti and would like to, ya know, make it my own. I have lots of powder coating shops where I live but if paint is the best option then I'd have to do some research.

Thanks.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I personally like painted Ti....especially if it's top half painted with bare chainstays and BB and angled on ST & SS and DT.

but, I've seen as many or more bad custom paint jobs as I've seen good ones. Subtle works better than garrish.

Any whoever mentioned landshark in the same thread about good paint jobs ....I want what you are smoking.:D

Len

1 - 20 of 33 Posts