Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a wild hair to paint my Moots. I'm thinking I'll have the front triangle and fork painted blue with turquoise panels on the down tube and seat tube. Then I'll have new decals placed under a clear coat. I'll leave the seat and chain stays bare.
While I'm at it does anyone think I should change the fork? I currently have an Ouzo Pro. I know there are lighter forks out there, but I don't want to sacrifice ride or durability.
Also, who do people recommend for painting?

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
markmaxwell said:
I'm getting a wild hair to paint my Moots. I'm thinking I'll have the front triangle and fork painted blue with turquoise panels on the down tube and seat tube. Then I'll have new decals placed under a clear coat. I'll leave the seat and chain stays bare.
While I'm at it does anyone think I should change the fork? I currently have an Ouzo Pro. I know there are lighter forks out there, but I don't want to sacrifice ride or durability.
Also, who do people recommend for painting?
I've had two bikes done by Spectrum and they've done a great job both times.

But painting your Moots? I can't imagine committing such a crime against my Vamoots.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've seen some painted Spectrum Ti bikes and they look very nice. I don't think Spectrum welds are as nice as Moots. You maybe be right. I might regret painting my Vamoots later. Thats why I'm looking for feedback.
I find myself riding my '06 Tarmac Expert, even though it is an inferior ride just because I like the blue paint. I only bought the Tarmac because of a great price and curiosity about carbon. The only thing keeping me from selling it is my longing for color.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If you want some color, I think it would be pretty sweet to have some panels painted on the downtube and seattube and then place your decals on them and clear over them. That way you wouldn't cover up the welds or disguise the fact it's Ti, but it would add some unique-ness to your Moots.

Hrmm...That sounds pretty sweet now that I think about it. Might have to fire up photoshop and see what that might look like. :D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
markmaxwell said:
Thanks. I've seen some painted Spectrum Ti bikes and they look very nice. I don't think Spectrum welds are as nice as Moots.
Spectrum Powder Works does not equal Spectrum Bicycles. Different folks, different lines of work. Spectrum paints (powdercoats, mostly) frames, and they do either the best job you can possibly get, or they f**k your nice ride up well beyond repair. (This usually happens to brand new frames, send out for fresh paint.) I'm sitting on the fence as to whether Spectrum is good or bad, but I will say this: be prepared to wait.

As for painting your Moots, I say go for it. But as long as you have an all-metal bike, you might as well go for powder coat. You can't PC your fork, so you'll have to have it wet painted (if at all), but I wouldn't consider tossing the Reynolds in favor of anything. (OK, maybe nice steel...) Painted Ti bikes are nice, especially if you want the Ti ride without the Ti look.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
markmaxwell said:
Thanks. I've seen some painted Spectrum Ti bikes and they look very nice. I don't think Spectrum welds are as nice as Moots. You maybe be right. I might regret painting my Vamoots later. Thats why I'm looking for feedback.
I find myself riding my '06 Tarmac Expert, even though it is an inferior ride just because I like the blue paint. I only bought the Tarmac because of a great price and curiosity about carbon. The only thing keeping me from selling it is my longing for color.
That link is not for Spectrum ti bikes, it's for Spectrum Powder Works, a painter. They painted two bikes for me, including one that was polished ti. I wouldn;t post a link to another builder when you were asking for a painter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the panel idea. I checked out Spectrum Powderworks web site and the idea of powdercoated panels with Moots logos powerdercoated on them seems like a slick way to go. Tom Kellog of Spectrum Bicycles advocates clear coating bare Ti for maintenance ease. Any thoughts on this or does just clear coating the panels seem best?
Further info on my Moots, its Campi carbon equiped except for an FSA carbon Octalink crank that I'm thinking of replacing with a Dura-ace 10 spd crank. I run Chorus 10 on my Tarmac with an Ultegra 10 crank and the shifting works well.
I usually run Ascent II's for wheels, so the IF pix gives me a good idea of what the bike will look like.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don't know about clear-coating bare Ti. That was one of the things I really like about my Ti bikes, you don't have to worry about messing up the paint, if you get a scratch you can take care of it with a little fine steel wool. Perhaps he was talking about clear coating polished Ti, vs. brushed or satin. That I could probably agree with because it would cut down on the up keep of the polished finish.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
I got big grief for painting my Seven Axiom, but I've never been sorry. I had enough years on bare ti on my 1990s Litespeed. Loving the splash o' color. Metallic blue fading to metallic green...

Do what makes you happy!

PS -- I was advised against painting the fork, though... it can chip easier that the ti and gets its share of road debris, so I left my fork (also an Ouzo Pro) unpainted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.