Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about custom painting my Litespeed Tuscany Frame. I do like the look of plain Ti but also like a little color. Each time I come up with what I would like I look @ the nude frame and say, "Why"?

Anyway, here is what it may look like if I painted it. What are your thoughts? Paint it or keep it nude?

Thanks!

Ray

·
Registered
83 Posts
Its a cool paint scheme and I get the connection with "Tuscany" but I can't help but associate Litespeed with the US so its a little hard to conceptualize the Italian-theme. Of course its completely subjective and you should do what you like. Running full-campy would help the Italian-theme...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run a Chorus/Record Groupo. I tried red,white and blue but didn't care for it. I didn't want to leave the model off, so, I went with the Italian theme. It doesn't hurt that I love the Italian bike culture, too.

However, I have some doubts whether it works.

Any other advice? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
What about blending the paint with the ti? Looks like you have that down for the back- but I would integrate in some into the design. (Maybe leave the white portions Ti?)

I saw a Ti frame that was about 40% painted- so you still got the impression that the background of the images was exposed Ti, and I thought it was pretty hot. (I guess it was more like decals over the ti, then a full paint job, but the decals were highly artistic, and looked so integrated that you got the impression it was a paint job.)

EDIT:

Check out the Lynskey paint job in the other thread. This is sort of what I saw, except the white was bare Ti.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did leave the seat and chainstays nude but I kind of like the idea of doing the head, top and down tube red and rest nude. It is more contemporary than the three colors I came up with.

However, I would not want to paint my fork, which is an Easton EC90SLX.

Thanks!

Ray

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Mootsie said:
Painting Ti is like painting a brick house. You take a beautiful and almost maintenance free finish and turn into something that is neither.
Maintenance: Hog Wash. Of course- maintaining the paint on something that hasn't been painted is the easiest (bare Ti), but I have painted bikes 10 yrs. old that look new. Some touch up paint for nicks once a year for less then 2 mins. is all it takes.

I see your point about the maintenance, but lets not try to act that having a painted bike is some HUGE commitment to keep it up. Actually, lets not try to act that it is even a small commitment to keep it looking good.

Beauty: Eye of the beholder. I like bare Ti, it looks nice. But I like an individual's taste more- it is fun seeing different things. (which is why I hate seeing "TREK" on so many bikes- no personality there.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also like the bare Ti chain/seatstays you have incorporated in the design - it looks "classic" (ie. Italian steel) and functionally keeps you from having to repaint chips on the stays, especially chain-induced chips.

After looking at it some more, I would say "go for it". It is unique and will be a head-turner on any ride. There's nothing wrong with plain Ti either but I can't say that I've ever seen a custom painted Litespeed. I've seen lots of painted/semi-painted Serottas and Sevens but not Litespeed so why not :)

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Tell your painter what you are thinking of but that you aren't quite sure you've nailed it yet. Ask their opinion. I bet they have some good ideas for you. I think your suggested paint job would get dated pretty quickly, but that's just me.

Personally I prefer something a little more classic in the paint department. If you want a flag theme, maybe some white panels with wide red and green bands on the ends? The Litespeed lettering could be see through, so you can see the bare ti underneath. Something similar to this is the first thing that came to mind.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great ideas. Anodizing is cool and keeps the metal more in the mix.

Mootsie kind of hit the nail on the head with the "brick" example and is the point I'm struggling with.

I do like the Strong suggestion because it also keeps the Ti up front.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
My opinion - do you really want it?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

You're taking a nice looking bike and turning it into a clown bike. Tri-color is for gelato stands, not bike frames. Paint it if you want, but paint it something more tasteful, please.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Kestreljr said:
Maintenance: Hog Wash. Of course- maintaining the paint on something that hasn't been painted is the easiest (bare Ti), but I have painted bikes 10 yrs. old that look new. Some touch up paint for nicks once a year for less then 2 mins. is all it takes.

I see your point about the maintenance, but lets not try to act that having a painted bike is some HUGE commitment to keep it up. Actually, lets not try to act that it is even a small commitment to keep it looking good.

Beauty: Eye of the beholder. I like bare Ti, it looks nice. But I like an individual's taste more- it is fun seeing different things. (which is why I hate seeing "TREK" on so many bikes- no personality there.)
I hear ya, but I have painted frames and a Ti frame and even with lots of "love" the paint takes a beating. Dropouts get hacked up with just normal use. Touch ups fall out of the chip and need to be repainted, touch up may or may not match. Then do you clear coat the touch up? See what I mean? With my Ti frame I can't even tell you where the defects are because they blend. You don't have to paint a frame to make it unique. I just cringe when I see people painting over brick and I feel the same about Ti. Just my opinion. :)

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
raymonda said:
Okay, as it stands this is how it looks today. Do I keep the brick natural or paint it? I hope this helps.
I think you are just used to the look of your bike and getting bored with it. Its a sweet bike. Change the bar tape or ask Litespeed about updating the decals to the current style, but enjoy the elegance of the Ti.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Ti is boring but I've grown to like it for the low maintenance. I've jazzed mine up with colored bar tape and tires. It's nice having a bike that I don't have to worry about scratching or chipping the paint, particularly on trips.

The problem with Litespeeds is the ugly yellow decals. The yellow just doesn't look good with the color of ti, in my view. Maybe you could get different colored decals from them.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the complements. I've thought about going with white tape but I'm more of a practical kind of guy. White gets dirty fast and then looks like do-do. I have also thought about having LS send me a 2006 sticker kit, too. It is a red and black theme that might change my view.

Having ridden many tires over 20 years I have found that Conti's are my favorites, @ 105 PSI, they are comfortable and last 2000 miles. They don't come in white and, again, white would look great to begin with but after a few hundred miles I think not.

I think I'll go with a new decal kit. It's only $30 and it might bring a new shine to my relationship.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
go with yellow and black cinelli splash tape on the bars then get yellow pedals and or cages. It will match the yellow lettering. If you do paint it paint only the down tube. I would go with red on the down tube and yellow lettering.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.