Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Giant TCR C2 that I'm removing the yellow and silver graphics from. The bike will remain nude carbon with the white lettering. I have Ultegra SL brake calipers and derailleurs, but I still have the silver 6500 cranks. Is is a better idea to paint the the crank arm and spider black or just replace the silver chainrings with black ones? How does paint hold up on the crank arms?

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Painting aluminum

slonoma98 said:
I have an 04 Giant TCR C2 that I'm removing the yellow and silver graphics from. The bike will remain nude carbon with the white lettering. I have Ultegra SL brake calipers and derailleurs, but I still have the silver 6500 cranks. Is is a better idea to paint the the crank arm and spider black or just replace the silver chainrings with black ones? How does paint hold up on the crank arms?
First of all, you are making the assumption that you have to paint them, which you don't. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That said, you won't have much luck trying to paint anodized aluminum, which your cranks are. And as Fred said, if there's any chance that your going to have the slightest bit of contact between your shoe and the crank arm, then the paint will come off quickly. If you choose to go this route, you need to study up on removing the anodizing from the crank arms, and then on which durable paints will stick well to bare aluminim.

·
Militant commuter
943 Posts
If you want to paint bare aluminum, I hear that an "acid etching primer" is required before the color coat. I haven't tried this personally, but I've read of decent results.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It's possible to strip the anodizing from anodized aluminum, re-anodize, and dye. This is pretty extreme though; you'd probably find it cheaper and easier to replace the crankset.

The FSA Road Pro chainrings are black; I'm pretty sure they'll fit Ultegra.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.