Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come from the mtb'ing world where I once popped a spoke on a set of Rolfs with crazy stupid effects on the rim...can I expect the same from my new Gipiemmes??? The Fiance bought me a new bike I'd been eyeing but planned on getting the wheels swapped out at purchase...she didn't and unfortunately I'm not a racer and have no need for the race wheels...should I shut up and ride or invest in a conventional wheelset and ebay the Gippies??? Thanks for your advice. Mike

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Your choice

You have analyzed the problem with paired spoke configurations, but whether your specific wheels will fail is an unanswerable question. This is sort of like asking whether you should be in stocks or bonds - depends on your risk aversion :)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,412 Posts
It's always nice to have a spare set of wheels. One for everyday riding, and one for "special" events.
"Special" could mean weekend rides or Century rides.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But...

...at 170 pounds, 6' tall, a TOTAL recreation rider (i.e. no racing EVER) I can see no purpose in an "AERO" low spoke count wheelset. Personally I see no reason to EVER need one. In my research they have rarely been lighter than a traditional set, and to give up the strength of 32-36 spokes in a cross three pattern for 20 spokes in a cross two....well...I just think it's more (less) than I will ever need. Hence the question...why risk the failure when a conventional wheelset (which isn't en vogue) is inexpensively had? Wouldn't these wheels I currently own find themselves better suited to a featherweight racer? Mike

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
stewardmike03 said:
Wouldn't these wheels I currently own find themselves better suited to a featherweight racer? Mike
Do you need the dough? If so sell 'em. If not, why not keep 'em and enjoy having some nice wheels to ride on. At 170 lbs you're no tank - there's no reason to think you're at any greater risk of trashing them because you don't race.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because...

...living in the midwest and consistently riding well over 100 miles away from home and deep into cellular signal depleted areas the last thing I need or want is a rim turning taco on me. Therefore the question is are all paired spoke type wheels similar in the idea that the fewer spokes are under tremendous tension compared to traditional spokes or was it simply the Rolfs that were? I have never minded riding 32-36 spoke wheels, even when I pop a spoke or the wheel takes a hit and barely strays from true, I can simply open the caliper and keep riding until I either have the tools or the time to true the wheel. Hell at this point I'd swap someone the wheelset simply for my own peace of mind. Mike

·
Registered
491 Posts
Then swap

Ebay the Gimpee's and build yourself a traditional 32 spoke wheelset with some nice hubs, they will last forever. Hey it's your bike and your the one riding it, do what makes you comfortable. Besides you should be able to get some good coin for those wheels on ebay, and maybe have some left over after building another set. You can never go wrong with 32 spokes for everyday riding and reliability.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Roadboy

I'm really leaning toward that very idea. I'd just feel better knowing my wheels, although not as cool, would survive the unforseen pothole, or lately the unobserving motorist. Three hits last year all commuting. yeah...the Gippies will be sold off. Thanks to all...anyone looking for race wheels? (cheesy grin)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Pairing does not change tension or tendency to go out of true when a spoke breaks

stewardmike03 said:
Therefore the question is are all paired spoke type wheels similar in the idea that the fewer spokes are under tremendous tension compared to traditional spokes or was it simply the Rolfs that were?
This is really not a question of whether the spokes are paired, it is more related to the number of spokes. In general, the fewer the spokes, the higher their individual tensions need to be to maintain wheel strength (whether the spokes are paired or not). And also in general, the fewer the spokes, the more the wheel will tend to go out of true if a spoke should break (whether the spokes are paired or not). The Rolf wheels you mention have a low number of spokes, in addition to pairing of the spokes. The reason the wheel went so far out of true whe a spoke broke was more related to the number of spokes (or lack there of) then that they were paired. Pairing of spokes has little technical merit, its main attribute is aesthetic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a thanks to all who gave input

I have purchased a set of 105/CXP22 hand-builts to exchange for my Gippies. Stuck with 105 level because I'm a single dad raising three kids and others' "budget" stuff is my "top-end", besides the rest of my scoot is 105, and went with 32 spoke traditional Mavics 'cuz y'all said Mavics were good stuff. Now I'll either post the other wheels on the classified board or Ebay them. Thanks again everyone. Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts