Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Paris-Nice

I'm surprised that no one has discussed it yet.... what a great race, Saturday and Sunday were thrilling. Contador was incredible on Sunday, he just didn't have gas to win that final sprint for the stage win. He needed that time bonus.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Jesus, I can't believe Henao worked with Conti (instead of just sitting on his wheel) in Stage 7 only to be dropped and lose 11 seconds! That almost cost him the yellow jersey. I'd love to know the thought process behind that one.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I was quite pissed that Contador did not win the race. He alone made Paris-Nice. Without Contador, Paris-Nice would be another "training race". I would have thought the other 2 Spanish riders would have at least given him a token pull, but they didn't. They knew that Contador didn't want to win the sprint, he just wanted the time.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Jesus, I can't believe Henao worked with Conti (instead of just sitting on his wheel) in Stage 7 only to be dropped and lose 11 seconds! That almost cost him the yellow jersey. I'd love to know the thought process behind that one.
well at stage 7, Henao was also contending with Dan Martin too, who only sat 1 second behind Contador; it was a 3-way race. So Martin was also a threat. I suppose the idea is that if you could work with the 1st enemy to eliminate a 2nd enemy, then you do it and worry about the 1st enemy later.

·
Registered
710 Posts
well at stage 7, Henao was also contending with Dan Martin too, who only sat 1 second behind Contador; it was a 3-way race. So Martin was also a threat. I suppose the idea is that if you could work with the 1st enemy to eliminate a 2nd enemy, then you do it and worry about the 1st enemy later.
Martin was a threat to Conti and only a minor threat to Henao....and they both had already distanced Martin. Conti [still] is the better rider and a [far] superior tactician than Henao or Martin. Conti has led more riders into a false sense of security and later dropped them than any rider still riding the Tours. All Henao had to do was stay on Conti's wheel and save energy while letting Conti do all the work. If Martin caught them it would have been up to Conti to protect 2nd place. Even if Martin was able to pass them both, Henao could well afford to lose time to Martin rather than Conti.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Contador definitely made the race. Although it is also crazy that Contador has now lost 2 races this season by a grand total of 3 seconds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts